AS4ODFL (PAC) Challenges and possibilities of applied activity-based and integrated assessment

The teacher now days lack education qualifications they only learn thing which they learn from university or during training but some how the teacher Alonso has to the standard of students learning and their understanding capabilities. Teachers also have to gain now knowledge on technology and also to teach the same from early education

The issues and challenges that were found to be significant through the use of ICT tools are as follows:
Teachers had limited access to the internet sources,
Teachers were given limited time and they lack in competitive,
Teachers got very less technical support which lack in their effective teaching training.

The reading on Guidelines for Online Assessment for Educators clearly states the requirements that we need to havein place before thinking of offering assessments online. In other words it clearly lays it out and one educator will have to reflect on his/her context to pick out which requirements their school will need in place and label as their current challenges.
In my context in Choiseul Province, Solomon Islands the list on challenges will be long.
Eight of the nine prerequisites will have to be met first. The nine are:
• supportive institutional policies for ICT integration and ICT use for assessment; (this is a must but will the help of online community and samples of such policies, i believe we can draft one fitting our context and integrate MEHRD’s ICT for Schools Policy).
• access for students and staff to devices and technologies that are appropriate for the setting
within which the users are situated; (the appropriate devices that the school can afford to offer are laptops in existing computer lab, also Tablets and ipads can be sold at students support costs so that students can own the devices personally).
• sustainability plans and strategies for ICT integration, and access to devices and the Internet; (yes this is very important for the life of program should we go into integrated assessments in our context for online learning, I believe we can develop these sustainability plans).
• capacity building for staff in ICT integration and online assessment, by means of professional development activities; (this is very true and I believe such training on COL is extremely important for staff and teachers’ development in their capacity, the school or MEHRD should encourage their staff and teacher to enroll on these courses).
• encouragement of academic staff to use ICT tools, by including the use of such tools as performance indicators during performance assessment; (this challenge should be emphasized to now all academic staff as the need for online education appears critically important and needed to reach learners away from classroom).
• sufficient technical support for academic staff and teachers using online assessment tools; (yes this technical support is much needed because manys teachers will also need to familiarize themselves with the use of FOSS and LMS).
• ICT integration in the curricula of programmes, and the modelling, coaching and preparation of teacher educators in the use of different online assessment tools; (this will be one major challenge of the eight, but it is achievable in my school’s context).
• policies that provide for the earning of final marks in courses not only from summative assessment tasks, but also from formative assessment tasks. (This challenge is one that I rate highly because these policies must be understood and be applicable by teachers so that summative as well as formative assessments are earning marks for their final grade. I feel this will be quite challenging for few in my context).
With all these, I do believe these challenges are manageable in my content.

1 Like

The challenges will be lack of ICT tools and how to use it appropriately for an effective teaching and learning. Another would be lack of knowledge and skills to provide assessment online. A solution would be a lot of training is required to achieved this type of assessment online.

Thank you colleagues for having highlighted the challenges we would encounter. Agreeing so much with you all especially @markie , @maautake and our friend from Choiseul Province in the Solomons, I believe we in the Pacific have very similar encounters. However, if we have to respond to this pandemic, we need the right leadership in place to be positive in addressing these challenges and continue to dialogue with one another to share our experiences in identifying the best practice to overcoming these challenges.so we can manage applied activity-based and integrated assessment on-line.

1 Like

The challenges will be lack of ICT tools and how to use it appropriately for an effective teaching and learning. Another would be lack of knowledge and skills to provide assessment online. A solution would be a lot of training is required to achieved this type of assessment online.

The challenges here is the same as some of us already mentioned. We have a computer lab and lack of skills in using that lab…we need someone to trained students. Sometimes if bad weather and then the connection is down.

the challenges here ,is not enough computer for both teachers and students ,and teachers need to have more ICT trainings.

1 Like

This is extremely insightful @1103488 I hope you don’t have to wait for all nine conditions to be in place before you can offer integrated activity-based assessment online. What small, productive steps can you take while you work on the bigger challenges?

1 Like

the challenges that I had faced are as follows

1. poor internet connection
  2. lack school resources such as computers
  3. the use of the new template of integrated assessment

#AS4ODFL: Challenges faced by a teacher in remote areas:

Required facilities may not be in place for practical lessons
Electricity may not be connected, therefore, computers or smart phones may not be used.
The good thing about this is that, students are physically involved in activity based integrated assessment.
On the other hand, for those studying on line, video lessons involving activity based integrated assessment will be better than just discussions in forums.

Like what a few have suggested, in PNG for technical courses such as capentery, banking, etc, lack of tools, safety equiptment and skills training for teachers are a few problems that make applied activity based and integrated assessment a challenge, however other courses that are technical but theory in nature such as Accounting can combine the both but now that ICT has taken some of the tasks that were once preformed by humans in Accounting, meaning that education institutions must bring in ICT hardware and software (MYOB) and knowladgeable teachers to deliever and applied based activity and intergrated assessment.

I totally agree with every discussion regarding the challenges. In schools, there are more challenges but there is still a possibility for teachers to overcome those challenges. Teachers need to be resilient and continuously upgrade their computer literacy skills in online learning and teaching. Teachers must be professional in handling challenges that they faced in schools. For example, when taking this course, you started to get yourself out to this challenges and try to get some skills and knowledge. This course is just one example where teachers can upgrade their knowledge and skills but unfortunately not many have shown eagerness otherwise we would have expected a huge number of participants participating. Many teachers must need to need to move out of their comfort zones, take initiatives, risks and challenges, and innovative or creative in their teaching skills, this is because they can handle the challenges of online learning and teaching and become more successful in their teaching

Poor internet and lack of resources is one of the major problem in many schools. And this is the factor that challenges the teachers in our various schools

1 Like

That is true . More teachers need to be qualify in using computers and must be professional in computer literacy

There are many issues that pose challenges to the online learning capacity of our learners here in Papua New Guinea. The prominent challenges would be access to devices and stable internet and electricity. However, they can be overcome gradually with the readiness of an institution and its staff to provide learning despite these challenges.

Challenges will be huge here in my context the list of prerequisite for implementing online learning itself is a big deal,accessibility of internet and the devices to be use and the how to use for both teachers and learners is also a challenge because learners will not show their full potentials if they have little knowledge on digital skills…however it can be made possible if all are working together for one common goal, the willingness to adapt to changes in using new technology for learning…

1 Like

The challenges that is faced in my school where I come from is the access to information and communication technology. Some schools are in the very remotest places where there in no access to internet while some have access to internet.

It it obvious that moving online and adapting assessment for teaching thus require key resources. Like many have expressed, the challenges are great in Papua New Guinea where I come from. These are some of our challenges in most schools; lacking access to internet and laptop/ mobile phone, schools lack IT facilities (although it it part of our curriculum), lacking in IT skills and knowledge by both teachers and students, lack of electricity (esp. those in remote location). It is a sad fact that although IT is part of our curriculum little has been done in this aspect.
Otherwise this should not discourage teachers from learning the skills needed to go online.

1 Like

integrated learning and assessment helps teachers and students to have a sense of ownership in the process of learning and being able to reflect through feedbacks and collaboration would produced a valid, reliable and accountable performance that is most desirable by both school and parents.

1 Like