AS4ODFL (PAC) Challenges and possibilities of applied activity-based and integrated assessment

Engage in a discussion with other participants on this course about the challenges and possibilities of applied activity-based and integrated assessment in your own context.

3 Likes

the challenges that will be faced in the school that i teach are the equipment’s; for instance, we will definitely need an IT lab for students, i pads or tablets or computers for both teachers and students. In my school most students to not have access to mobile phones, and other related electronic devices. Also a server for the whole system will have to be installed . The Current trend of the booming technology that is advancing every day will definitely be of great help to todays education system. Its fast and reliable however setting practical hands on assessment will have to excluded from summative and formative passements conducted online

4 Likes

True, indeed. The challenges are the same here. Many students do not have access to information and communication technology.

1 Like

The challenges here are teachers lacking of trainning, changes of examination pattern, cost of investment, technological issues and teachers issues. These challenges are major ones that mostly leads to where activity -based and integrated assessment is not applied well.

2 Likes

I totally agree with points

Challenges here are teachers are not trained with lasted online teaching software such as zoom software etc. Also in my school students are not allowed to bring electronic device and IT lab has few computers.

We do not have a classroom load of computers, tablets etc, but have tried to make do with what we have. To really identify each learning need in a classroom filled with 40+ students and adjusting teaching to meet a diverse class is a challenge. One size doesn’t fit all, but sometimes we tend to do that with our assessments when the aim is to get each student to succeed.

2 Likes

I guess the challenges and possibility of activity-based and integrated assessment I believe would depend of the two factors 1) the school-based and 2) students/teacher/learners’ readiness for the 21 century and the teacher/learners. When either indicates the un-readiness for the 21 century’s demand, there would definitely challenge. A school that has all the ICT necessary available, internet, skills and knowledge by teachers, learners and admin. there is a high successful possibility

1 Like

You are correct @avindrakumarsharma. I guess it would be likewise when schools are not equiped with new ICT tools and capabilities however teachers/learners are fully capable.

I totally agree with everyone. The challenges are huge but there is still a possibility. Teachers need to be resilient and continuously upgrade their computer literacy skills in online learning and teaching. This course is just one example where teachers can upgrade their knowledge and skills but unfortunately not many have shown eagerness otherwise we would have expected a huge number of participants participating. Many need to move out of their comfort zones, take initiatives, risks and challenges, and be innovative if we are to overcome the challenges of online learning and teaching and become successful.

3 Likes

The challenges of schools differ in terms of fully supporting teachers in their role as facilitators. Teachers must be well acquainted with the use of ICT tools in order to effectively facilitate learning. Online assessment platforms like our school Moodle helps all teachers to start getting use to the use of this technology instead of face to face classroom learning. Active integration of assessments will require careful planning and competent skills that needs to be facilitated at school level.

1 Like

The challenges here in my school is lack of resources and facilities like science lab and equipments. Sometimes we have not enough resources and we need to use the internet but sometimes it out of services and also the electricity power is not good. Also teachers need training to upgrade themeselves.

What a brilliant world we are living in where on going changes can improve or degrade the lives of individuals. that depends on how individuals respond to the changes. Applied activity - based and integrated assessment in my context has few to many tough challenges like digital literacy, poor access to ICT tools, high cost of internet, maintenance of ICT tools, stable electricity, disaster damage vulnerable. And one current huge challenge in the context of my school is the misuse of internet by students which restrict students from using their phones in school. Nevertheless, there is high possibility of the application of activity - based and integrated assessment as students are well familiar with touch screen phones which they can access any information digitally. A computer is set up and teaching through projector by ICT teacher sets paths where students are introduced to digital learning.

1 Like

without a computer class room, can the use of touch screened mobile be useful in your setting? Im sure most upgraded mobiles have apps that can carry out some functions of a computer. im assuming that most or all students should have such a phone in this 21st century.

very true. Teachers should take the initiative to be willing and commit their time to learn and apply the skills in schools.

1 Like

In our situation and context most schools are in the rural areas where there’s lack of media materials such as computers or smart phones and others to upgrade learning online. Even us teachers also lack the knowledge of creating and doing online learning to our students.

1 Like

The challenges here are that schools don’t have enough computers and not having accessing to internet. Some teachers are not trained and don’t know how to use software’s and computers.

1 Like

‘Activity-based and integrated assessment’ - Challenges and possibilities to applied activity-based and integrated assessment: Assuming assessment is online and remote, the challenges will be the availability of ICT tools, the staff knowledge and skills with appropriate ICT devices, the internet reliability, availability and affordances of appropriate apps and tools for creating activities. Training and upgrading of educators, teachers with regard to cost etc. Being able to overcome these challenges is an indication of the high possibility to 'apply activity-based and integrated assessment.

1 Like

Very true! ICT cost and maintenance. Power supply and reliability so as its cost and maintenance. Then the skills and knowledge of officers, with regard to their accountability, commitment and honesty. What a brilliant world that is! The challenges and Possibilities are all within the reach of our brilliant world. Thank you for your insight @marke!

2 Likes

I think some challenges we are facing in our school is by not integrating the principle of Christianity values in our learning assessment. Kiribati is a Christian country and most of the schools are mission schools own and operated by different denomination such as Catholic, Uniting Church, SDA, Mormon etc except two are the government schools. Around 70 % of the students are educated in the these mission schools. There is a high expectation that most of the student knowledge build around the Christians principle since they have gone through these institution. However, there is lack of Christian values emphasis and integrated in the lesson. This is due to different teaching approaches in the Religious curriculum the school have for their students.