Designing a blended learning lesson

You will need about 40 minutes to do this activity.

1. Design a lesson on a topic of your choice which requires learners to prepare for a class in advance; show during and after class activities learners will engage in. The lesson should show the seamless integration of the learning activities and how the teacher knows what learning took place outside the classroom. You can do this activity alone or with a colleague.
  2. If you are working with a colleague, you can share and critique your lessons together. If you are working alone, you can raise questions or briefly describe the main activities of your lesson in the discussion forum.
                                **A blended Learning Lesson**

Suppose I teach Year 12 economics students on the topic “Perfect Competitive Market”. The learning outcome of the lesson is - “students should be able to understand the features and provide examples of a perfectly competitive market in their local context”. There are 25 students in this Year 12 Economics class. The school where I teach had a moodle and platform discussion forum where all students can access online.

Provided below are my strategies to ensure the students are to engage and learn effectively using a blended learning approach:

Before Class

• I prepare reading materials relevant to the topic for students that I extracted from the online resources. Students should access the readings on the school moodle and to complete a short quiz based on the readings.
  • Video clip relate to a Perfect Competitive Firm is also created and uploaded on the moddle for students to watch before class. They should take notes when watching the video clip and must come up with one or two questions and post on a discussion forum.
  • Students must contribute to questions that are posted on a discussion forum.
  • Teacher to facilitate the online discussion to ensure students are engaged and learn from each other in order to understand online information (readings and video clip) for example concepts about the topic like what is it?, What are the features and examples of the perfect competitive market?

During Class

• Group students into 5 groups with 5 students in each group. Engage the students in each group to discuss on what they have learned from their readings and watching a video clip. This time they should ask their peers by exchanging their views. That is they have to learn from their peers especially about how the Perfect Competitive Market applies in their local context. Give them a few minutes to discuss in their group. The teacher will walk around to each group for clarifications when needed. When their time permit of discussion elapsed, each group must present to the whole class to share their findings relate to what is a Perfect Competitive Market, give examples and how it operates in their local area. Allow students to give comments or feedback based on the findings from each group.

-After the discussion about the topic in groups, dismantle the group and allow students to work individually by providing them with a knowledge-based assessment on the topic to ensure that each student have learned from their peer-groups, readings and video clip. The knowledge-based assessment consist of 10 multiple choice questions and students should access it on the Moodle. The knowledge assessment must be completed on the spot, feedback of the test knowledge also provided automatically on the Moodle after students answered every question.

• After the test knowledge and the teacher should ask students if they have further questions and need further clarifications about the topic, they should post on the forum discussion.

After Class

• Recap on the lesson by summarising the topic to students. Also post the summary of the topic on the Moodle for students to read it. Provide one scenario-based assessment that is in the form of a quiz - multiple choice questions with 10 items. Students must attempt it on the Moodle. They can make re-attempts on the scenario-based assessment.
1 Like

Excellent job well done

If am to teach a topic ‘Physical and Chemical Changes’ , the learning outcome of the lesson is – ‘students should be able to understand the difference between physical and chemical changes and provide examples’.

Before Class

I will prepare relevant reading materials on the topic for students, which should be accessed on the school Moodle.

Short video clip will be produced showing different physical and chemical changes and posted on the Moodle for the students to watch before class. Every student must contribute to the questions that are posted on a discussion forum.

The teacher should encourage the students to go through the learning materials (readings and video clip) before the class as to get some insight about the topic.

During Class

The teacher should engage the students to discuss what they have leant from the learning materials (reading and video clip). Allow them to discuss on what is physical change and chemical change as well. They should equally give appropriate examples of both physical and chemical changes. The teacher should go round to make clarifications where necessary.

The teacher should then make overall comments and provide them with a knowledge-based assessment on the topic to ensure every student has learnt something from the learning materials. The knowledge-based assessment should consist of 5 to10 multiple choice questions, which students should access on the Moodle on the spot and immediate feedback should be provided for students to know their areas of strength and weakness.

The teacher should then ask if there are further questions or needs for clarifications about the topic. Students should then post on the discussion forum.

After Class

The teacher should conclude by summarizing the key points to students, and equally post the summary on the Moodle for students to access. A scenario-based assessment may be provided on the Moodle and allow for multiple attempts to boost students understanding.

1 Like

This is a very good work.

I prepared a lesson plan on: “Exploring Climate Change and its Impact on Biodiversity” with the following Learning objectives:

1. Understand the basics of climate change and its impact on biodiversity.
  2. Recognize the causes and consequences of climate change.
  3. Analyse the interdependence of different species in an ecosystem.
  4. Discuss the ways to mitigate the effects of climate change on biodiversity.

The following are the questions and main activities in the lesson plan:

Pre-Class Activities:

1. What video did the students watch on climate change and biodiversity?
  2. What article did the students read about the effects of climate change on different species?
  3. What questions were given to the students related to the video and article?

During Class Activities:

1. What is the purpose of the introduction, and what are the key points covered in it?
  2. How will the teacher divide the class into small groups and assign species to each group?
  3. What are the specific discussion points that the students should focus on while analyzing the impact of climate change on their assigned species?
  4. How will the groups present their findings to the class, and what feedback will be given by the teacher and students?
  5. What strategies will the students come up with to mitigate the effects of climate change on biodiversity, and how will they be evaluated by the teacher?

Post-Class Activities:

1. What specific essay topics will the students write about their understanding of climate change and its impact on biodiversity?
  2. What practical solutions will the students come up with to mitigate the effects of climate change on biodiversity, and how will they be evaluated by the teacher?
1 Like

Supposedly I’m teaching agriculture and the lesson for the day is on integrated farming. The lesson outcome would be " at the end of the lesson the students will be able to define what is integrated farming and what are the components of integrated farming".

1. Before the class.
    I will be preparing all the learning materials. The text book, models of the intergated farming system. Videos from the internet explaining on the intergated farming setup. I will post up a research questions on the intergated farming system for the students to do
  2. During the class.
    I will define what is intergated farming system. To make the understanding easier, I will use videos from the internet to show to the students. I will divide the students into groups and ask them to set up a model farm on a integrated farming system. Once the students have designed the model , then they are required to do a presentation on the model on how the model works.
  3. After the class.
    I will summarize the class. Ask questions to students if they have understood the lesson.
1 Like

I prepare a lesson plan on Ecology of Public Administration with the following learning outcomes

1. Understand the meaning of Ecology
  2. Understand the difference between ecology and public Administration
  3. States theorists and their theories as it relates to ecology of public administration
  4. Impact of ecology on public Administration

BEFORE CLASS ACTIVITIES

1. What videos did the students watched on Ecology of public Administration
  2. What were the lessons learnt from the video watched.
  3. How many articles or publications did the students read and whats their understanding of it.

DURING CLASS ACTIVITIES

1. I will detailing explain what ecology and administration is
  2. Will explain the difference between ecology and administration
  3. I will also give detailed impact of ecology on how it affects public administration
  4. I will divide the class in groups and ask them to chose different schools of thought on the subject matter and critique their work and also take a stand either for or against such theories. Once this has been done, they will take turns to do a presentation on the above.

AFTER CLASS ACTIVITIES
At the end of the class, the following will be done.

1. I will summarize what we have learnt on the subject matter (Ecology of Public Administration).
  2. I will give class assessment to test what students have learnt.
1 Like

The topic is Water scarcity and efficient usage.
Before the class students will be required to:

1. Read the water management
  2. Observe water usage and reuse in your homes and community.
  3. Identify sustainability issues that need to be resolved at home and in their community that is related to water.
  4. Think about solutions. Focus on at least one water issue and propose two solutions for sharing during class

During the class

1. Group sharing
    a. Summarize sustainability issues observed in their homes and communities as it relate to the materials on
    water management.
    b. Refer to the materials read before class to identify possible solutions to the sustainability
    issues. Share your solutions.
    c. Each group should share their discussion with the class using PowerPoint (10 minutes each per group)
  2. Take note of teacher’s summary of student understanding of concepts included in the concept sheet
    Emphasize the importance of water to life, scarcity of water, effect of pollution on life.
    After the class:
  3. Prepare PowerPoint, based on comments from teacher and students in other groups.
  4. Submit presentation.

You give very good activities learners should do before and during class. You however, don’t include follow up activities to be done after class, individually or with peers. It would be good to have an activity (or activities) where learners apply what they will have learnt.

Math lesson 3 digit subtraction
Before the lesson are sent a video on how to subtract and different strategies used and an online worksheet is sent using the Teams platform and students can get immediate feedback. During the video, many vocabulary terms are introduced to students.
During the lesson-
Class discussion- ask students to recall the different terms they were introduced to- strategy, subtraction, expanded notation and re-grouping.
Teacher modelling of problems on the board using different strategies
Journal entry- allow student to generate a problem using subtraction and let them explain how they got the answer.
Let them explain the algorithm used to solve the problem.
After the class-
Independent work-
Students practice on work sheet in pairs.
After school assessment- students prepare a video/ PPT on how to perform 3 digit subtraction with examples.

This is a good lesson Toaiauea. Key aspects that make your lesson a model are that you have planned activities for learners to do before class, you get your students to engage with the issues relating to those activities during class, and in in groups. This gives learners an opportunity to learn from their peers. At the same time you also provide guidance and/or supplementary information. You then give your learners follow up activities to do after the face-to-face session, individually. So, you lesson involves learners doing structured activities out of class and interacting with their peers and the teacher during class. This is good.

1 Like

Thank you Ephraimm for your constructive comments. The blended learning approach is new to me but I tried to follow the model that introduced in this course. Now, I know of how it will be applied in distance learning.

Suppose I teach Diploma in Information and Communication Technology students on the topic “USING WORD PROCESSING SOFTWARE”. The learning outcome of the lesson is - “students should be able to understand the features of word processors and apply the in creating documents”. There are 50 students in this DICT 1 CLASS. The Institute which I teach had a moodle and platform discussion forum where all students can access online.

Provided below are my strategies to ensure the students are to engage and learn effectively using a blended learning approach:

Before Class

I prepare reading materials relevant to the topic for students that I extracted from the online resources. Students should access the readings on the school moodle and to complete a short quiz based on the readings.

Video clip relate to a using word processors What is Word Processing Software?-Features and Uses of Word Processor

is also created and uploaded on the moddle for students to watch before class. They should take notes when watching the video clip and must come up with one or two questions and post on a discussion forum.

Students must contribute to questions that are posted on a discussion forum.

Tutor to facilitate the online discussion to ensure students are engaged and learn from each other in order to understand online information (readings and video clip) for example concepts about the topic like what is it?, What are the features and examples of the perfect competitive market?

During Class

Group students into 10 groups with 5 students in each group. Engage the students in each group to discuss on what they have learned from their readings and watching a video clip. This time they should ask their peers by exchanging their views. Give them a few minutes to discuss in their group. The tutor to walk around to each group for clarifications when needed. When their time permit of discussion elapsed, each group must present to the whole class to share their findings relate to what is a word processor, give examples and how it operates in their local area. Allow students to give comments or feedback based on the findings from each group.

-After the discussion about the topic in groups, dismantle the group and allow students to work individually by providing them with a knowledge-based assessment on the topic to ensure that each student have learned from their peer-groups, readings and video clip.

The knowledge-based assessment consist of 10 multiple choice questions and students should access it on the Moodle. The knowledge assessment must be completed on the spot, feedback of the test knowledge also provided automatically on the Moodle after students answered every question.

After the test knowledge and the teacher should ask students if they have further questions and need further clarifications about the topic, they should post on the forum discussion.

After Class

Recap on the lesson by summarizing the topic to students. Also post the summary of the topic on the Moodle for students to read it. Provide one scenario-based assessment that is in the form of a quiz - multiple choice questions with 10 items. Students must attempt it on the Moodle. They can make re-attempts on the scenario-based assessment.

1 Like

True toaiaueatoabwa , This is a well planned lesson.
I may wish to be a trainee in your online class.

1 Like

Before class the students will watch a youtube of a teacher teaching secondary school students in a given topics. The teacher trainees will watch a youtube video of a teacher teaching a topic in Biology. Trainees will identify how the teacher in the video applies the skills of stimulus variation, set induction, Questioning skills, reinforcement and closure. The teacher trainees will record their observation in a worksheet. During the class, the trainees will make their presentation during a plenary to be critiqued by the trainees. After the class they will watch the video again to identify some of the skills that they had not captured and emerged in the plenary session and add them into the worksheets.

Lesson Topic: Environmental Conservation

Before Class :

1. Reading Assignment: Before the class, learners will read a relevant article or chapter on environmental conservation, highlighting key concepts and challenges.
  2. Online Discussion Forum: Learners will participate in an online forum where they share their initial thoughts and questions on the reading.

During-Class Activities:

1. Group Discussion: In the classroom, learners form small groups to discuss the reading. They share their summaries, questions, and insights.
  2. Case Study Analysis: The class is presented with a real-world environmental conservation case study. In pairs, they analyze the case, identify problems, and propose solutions.
  3. Guest Speaker: A guest speaker, an expert in environmental conservation, gives a presentation and engages in a Q&A session with students.

After-Class Activities:

1. Research Assignment: Learners are tasked with researching a specific environmental issue and its impact on their local community.
  2. Group Project: In small groups, students work on a project related to environmental conservation. This may include creating awareness campaigns, proposing local conservation initiatives, or conducting surveys.
  3. Online Quiz: A post-class quiz tests the students’ understanding of the class material, reading, and the guest speaker’s presentation.

Lesson Title: Exploring Ecosystems - A Virtual Field Trip

Topic: Ecosystems and Biodiversity

Grade Level: Middle School (6th Grade)

Lesson Duration: Two class periods (One for preparation and one for the virtual field trip)

Objective: By the end of this lesson, students will be able to identify the components of an ecosystem and understand the importance of biodiversity in maintaining ecological balance.

Preparation (Before Class):

1. Assigned Reading: Before the lesson, provide students with an assigned reading from the textbook or an online resource about ecosystems and biodiversity. Students are instructed to read the material and take notes.
  2. Pre-Class Discussion Forum: Create an online discussion forum where students can post questions, thoughts, or interesting facts related to the reading. This forum promotes engagement and helps the teacher gauge students’ understanding before class.

During Class Activities:

Class Period 1 (Preparation)

1. Opening Discussion: Begin the class by discussing students’ questions and thoughts posted on the pre-class discussion forum. This allows students to share their understanding and address any misconceptions.
  2. Concept Introduction: Provide a brief review of ecosystem components and biodiversity concepts to ensure that all students have a foundational understanding.
  3. Virtual Field Trip Introduction: Explain that students will be going on a virtual field trip to explore a local ecosystem and observe its biodiversity. The teacher introduces the concept of a virtual field trip and its purpose.
  4. Virtual Field Trip Instructions: Divide the class into small groups and assign each group a specific ecosystem to explore virtually (e.g., a forest, wetland, or grassland). Provide access to interactive virtual field trip software or online resources, where students can navigate through the chosen ecosystem, observing plants, animals, and interactions.

Class Period 2 (Virtual Field Trip)

1. Guided Exploration: During the virtual field trip, students explore their assigned ecosystem. They document their observations, such as plant and animal species, environmental conditions, and any interactions they notice.
  2. Data Collection: Students use digital tools (e.g., tablets, smartphones) to take photos, record audio, and note their observations in a shared digital document.
  3. Reflection and Discussion: After the virtual field trip, reconvene as a class. Each group shares their observations, and the teacher facilitates a discussion about the importance of biodiversity and the interdependence of species in ecosystems.

After Class Activities:

1. Digital Reports: Students create digital reports or presentations (e.g., slideshows, videos) summarizing their virtual field trip findings and the importance of biodiversity.
  2. Peer Review: Students review and provide feedback on their peers’ reports, promoting collaborative learning and a deeper understanding of the topic.
  3. Assessment: The teacher assesses the quality of reports, understanding of biodiversity concepts, and participation in the discussion.

Assessment of Learning:

The teacher evaluates students’ learning through the following methods:

• Pre-class discussion forum participation.
  • Quality of digital reports and presentations.
  • Contributions to the in-class discussion about ecosystem observations and biodiversity.
  • Completion of assigned reading and notes.

How the Teacher Knows What Learning Took Place:

• Pre-class discussion forum provides insights into students’ prior knowledge and questions.
  • During the virtual field trip, the teacher can monitor students’ engagement and interactions in real time.
  • Post-class digital reports and presentations demonstrate students’ understanding of ecosystem components and the importance of biodiversity.
  • The in-class discussion and peer review process provide opportunities to assess students’ grasp of the topic and their ability to articulate their observations and insights.

Before lesson

1. Interact with content before the lesson
  2. Prepare the needed resources before the class e.g. stationary. relevant software
  3. Undertake a presurvey.
    During lesson
  4. Perform practical aspects of the lesson
  5. Ask questions for clarifications
  6. Summarize the learnt content
    After lesson
  7. Undertake assignments.
  8. Undertake out of class activity

My Lesson Could be:

Create a simple Java Application

Pre-Class Activities:

1. Read Assigned Material:
  • Assign relevant reading materials or online tutorials to introduce the basics of Java programming.
  • Recommend resources like articles, videos, or online documentation to build a foundation.
  1. Set Up Development Environment:
  • Instruct students to install the necessary software and tools (e.g., Java Development Kit, Integrated Development Environment like IntelliJ or Eclipse) before the class.
  1. Pre-Class Quiz or Survey:
  • Create a short pre-class quiz to gauge students’ prior knowledge of Java concepts.
  • Use a survey to understand students’ expectations and goals for the class.

During Class Activities:

1. Introduction to Java:
  • Provide a brief overview of Java, its history, and its importance in software development.
  1. Live Coding Session:
  • Perform a live coding demonstration to create a simple Java application.
  • Explain each step and discuss the rationale behind design choices.
  1. Hands-On Exercise:
  • Break the class into small groups and assign a simple Java coding exercise.
  • Encourage collaboration and problem-solving among group members.
  1. Q&A Session:
  • Foster a question-and-answer session to address any confusion or challenges students may be facing.
  • Discuss common pitfalls and best practices in Java development.

After Class Activities:

1. Post-Class Assignment:
  • Assign a follow-up coding assignment to reinforce the concepts learned during the class.
  • Encourage students to explore additional features and functionalities.
  1. Discussion Forum:
  • Create an online discussion forum or platform where students can ask questions, share insights, and discuss challenges faced while implementing their Java applications.
  1. Code Review Session:
  • Organize a code review session where students can present their solutions, receive feedback, and learn from each other’s approaches.
  1. Further Reading and Resources:
  • Share additional resources, such as advanced tutorials, books, or documentation, for students who want to deepen their understanding of Java.
  1. Assessment:
  • Conduct a short quiz or assessment to evaluate students’ comprehension of the material covered in the class.
  • Provide constructive feedback to guide further learning.