CS4ODFL (PAC) - Module 2 Forum

I don’t think knowledge becomes something different regardless of the different media. An animation of a mathematical function supplements and provides additional support to written or printed equation of the same function. The formula is the most mathematical.

As our work is more streamlined and specialized to a required uniform standard internationally, a blended mode would be most relevant. The is a requirement for correct knowledge to application with associated risks that can not be entertained due to associated implications thus the need to replicate knowledge to application in a simulated environment prior to real-time applications. Todays modern technology is addressing these requirements.

2 Likes

Very true, the facts always remains as the fundamental part of the learning.

2 Likes

@Shivneet The media that would be most suitable for ODFL classes include; firstly, video whereby YouTube clips…

Hi @Shivneet - great point about making use of YouTube videos.

A quick note re YouTube video links for all!

Whenever you share YouTube links with your students, please ensure the links are safe, sometimes inappropriate or otherwise harmful material slips through the safety filters.

For more information on how to “share YouTube videos with students in classroom in a safe and friendly way without any distractions or offensive comments that may scatter their attention”, visit https://video.link/.

1 Like

I prefer to read e-books due to time management and my busy schedule. However, I do refer to printed books on certain occasions when need arises :heart_eyes:.

1 Like

e-books have become most suitable at this era of strategic inflection point enamored by the digital ecosystem. You just need access to Internet and that’s all. Even in terms of documents and documentation, even hardware is no longer necessary to move about with provided there is computer and internet access the next destination. I therefore strongly agree with you @geeta.krishna :pray:

1 Like

with the introduction of technology I would prefer e-book reading. Otherwise I also prefer reading printed books.

2 Likes

I don’t think information gets to be something diverse regardless of the distinctive media as it enhances the learning processes of students with different learning capabilities.
The most mathematical is the formula.

The media that would be most appropriate for ODFL classes incorporate; firstly, video whereby YouTube clips relating to the subjects covered can be utilized for sharing information, besides, graphics particularly charts can be utilized for permitting learners to effortlessly grasp information, texts and finally, online discussion gatherings can be utilized for permitting students to reply to the discussion questions and posting modern gatherings for development of viable communication channels.

1 Like

yes I agree. As different students have different learning capabilities. Some learn better through watching videos, others may be using diagrams and some reading text.

2 Likes

The knowledge remains the same regardless of the media used. It only enhances students to grasp the concept better and faster.

3 Likes
  1. Animation is the most mathematical since animation explains in details while equation can be confusing for a learner as to how it can be applied.
  2. Even though this is a suburban environment connectivity is still a problem. The best form of media here would be text and social media.
    text is most suitable because the knowledge source can be traced and during connectivity problem copies ca be made for reading purposes.
    social media is another, assignments can be assessed and loaded in their own learning environment during this pandemic
1 Like

yes that’s true, regardless of this growing age of technology I also still prefer reading printed books because of it’s availability of time and space

2 Likes

Yes, yet for areas with poor connectivity you tubes will not work but maybe recorded videos will do.

1 Like
Do you think that knowledge becomes something different when represented by different media? For instance, does an animation of a mathematical function represent something different from a written or printed equation of the same function? Which is the most ‘mathematical’: the formula or the animation?

Good afternoon friends
I teach in a rural school and somehow students here show less interest when it comes to Maths especially when our Maths teacher teach using blackboards and chalk and how fascinating to see when he brings his laptop to teach the same function and students show more interest in his class.
So yes I believe to impart knowledge to students will depend on how students best learn. Each students differ in ways they learn so therefore knowledge becomes different in different media that are used. Some students can learn through textbook in front of them others can get information through animation.
In my science class what I normally do is teach using written material (textbook) explain diagrams but I always incorporate some videos with it and I have notice that students learn more and find it easier for them to get the concept of the topic.
Selecting and using media for ODFL communication is a crucial activity in both synchronous and asynchronous modes of teaching. Consider your teaching and learning environment and list and discuss the media that would be most suitable for your ODFL classes.
During the COVID lockdown I had used several medium of teaching trying to get my lesson out to the students. First we tried zoom and because I was also new to using online classes I found zoom very hard I did not know how to record our session because I saw that not all the students were attending and I did not want any of them to miss the topics being discussed, so we changed from zoom to google meet because the students had respond that phone they were using was not theirs and they could not download any new app hence google meet but then same problem attendance was poor, then we tried viber but heard from the students that viber took up more space.
After that tiring search for the best medium to use I notice that majority of the students were on Facebook so we all agreed to use Facebook and messenger for our medium of online classes. We form a private group for my class and I do LIVE presentation and save it for those that missed out on that day and they can just view the LIVE presentation later and I use messenger for responds to questions from the students.

3 Likes

@keshnichand31
This is true in my case I see students even my own kids enjoying what they learn through animation.

1 Like

@MoneetDeo
Thank you I also do believe that to impart knowledge to our students to get the concept better when we present them using different media and technology in our teaching.

• Yes, knowledge becomes more real and achieved within a short period with the use of different media; as the learners’ characteristics is key. We have visual, auditory, kinaesthetic learners etc. with different learning capabilities. So, use of different media to disseminate knowledge is germane.
  • Media most suitable for my class include text; as it is recorded and can linger for a while and it is also traceable. Another one is video; useful especially for demonstration of experiments, it can also accommodate documents. Lastly is the use of graphics for a better presentation of difficult concept and for easy understanding of abstract ideas.

I also appreciate animation in teaching and learning process

1 Like

As much as I like e-books, there is also the problem of long time sitting with the computer which might have health implications

2 Likes

Well, computer is generic. It goes beyond desktop to handheld devices, which have become part of human accessories for communication, etcetera. For example, am responding here with my mobile phone but few hours ago, I was on a desktop. Therefore, in this era of digitization, humans have become “Nodes” so to say. In any case, Ma., thanks for your insightful perspective :pray:

1 Like

Yes we need to also facilitate learning and move away from ‘‘knowledge imparting’’ as learners are to be responsible for their own learning( learner-centred approach of teaching and learning). Facilitators are therefore expected to actively engage learners by involving them in various learning activities (taking them through learning process) and not the teacher just imparting knowledge because as teaching and learning process is expected to be learner-centred.

1 Like