CS4ODFL (PAC) - Module 2 Forum

-Different media have different educational impacts. If you just transfer the same teaching to a different medium, you fail to exploit the unique characteristics of that medium. You can do different and often better teaching by adapting it to the medium. That way students will learn more deeply and effectively. The most suitable to my ODFL context includes text, audio, video, computing and social media. In text, Transparency: the source of knowledge can be traced and verified. For Audio, Some students prefer to learn by listening compared with reading.Audio combined with text can help develop literacy skills or support students with low levels of literacy. In Video, it enables students to stop and start, so they can integrate activities with video.Secondly, it provides an alternative to the presentation of content and makes learning interesting by linking it to real world issues. For Computing, these are useful for teaching many of the digital age skills.Additionally, Gives students more power and choice in accessing and creating their own learning and learning contexts.It enables direct interaction with learning materials and enables regular and frequent communication between student, instructors and other students. In terms of social media, it enables teachers to set online group work, learners can post media-rich assignments either individually or as a group.These assignments when assessed can be loaded by the learner into their own personal learning environment or e-portfolios for later use when seeking employment or transfer to graduate school, learners can take more control over their own learning.Finally, through the use of blogs and wikis, courses and learning can be thrown open to the world, adding richness and wider perspectives to learning.

3 Likes

Module 2 : Forum Discussion

1. Do you think that knowledge becomes something different when represented by different media? For instance, does an animation of a mathematical function represent something different from a written or printed equation of the same function? Which is the most ‘mathematical’: the formula or the animation?
    No, the knowledge does not become something different when it is represented by different media. The only thing that is different is the manner in which the knowledge is disseminated such as through the means of a video, audio or simply written on the whiteboard. The animation of a mathematical function does not represent something different from a written or printed equation of the same function. The mathematical function remains the same however the pedagogical approach tends to change; whether the students are provided with a written equation on the blackboard/ whiteboard or having the same equation of the function printed on a paper. The formula is the most mathematical.
  2. Selecting and using media for ODFL communication is a crucial activity in both synchronous and asynchronous modes of teaching. Consider your teaching and learning environment and list and discuss the media that would be most suitable for your ODFL classes.
    Keeping in consideration that my teaching and learning environment is a mixture of both Synchronous and Asynchronous mode of teaching; I would utilize the following media that would suit the ODFL class.
    Firstly, text in the form of textbooks which would be provided online would allow students to read widely on the concept being studied. For instance, the concept on adaptive features is quite broad which requires an in-depth reading. This would allow students to gain more knowledge on the concept and from personal experience, students tend to recall and understand more when they indulge in self-discovery learning. Secondly, I would also incorporate educational You-Tube videos based on the concepts being taught as students tend to remember what they saw with their own eyes and what they heard on their own thus audio and video aspect of media is also utilized. Active participation by students makes the class turn lively whether it be online or face to face in a classroom and thus video simulation games based on the concept for instance the food chain and food web in an ecosystem whereby the students have to play a game and reach to the highest trophic level as well as note the examples of the producers and consumers (primary, secondary and tertiary) along the way. I would also utilize platforms such as viber and messenger to aid in the easy and effective communication between me and the students. In addition to that to assess students understanding of the concept, online discussion forums would be beneficial seen in the Computing aspect of media.
4 Likes

In order for a particular knowledge to be acquired or convey a particular knowledge, the are represented in different forms of media but the fact of the knowledge remains the same no matter what form of media it takes.

2 Likes

Well said Shivneet. I believe that 21st century teaching and learning really does require the incorporation of online learning materials to assist in the teaching and learning process.

1 Like

Well said. I believe that teachers not only prepare students for assessments and final examinations but also for the challenges out their in the real world and as such the skills taken up by students in the process of teaching and learning surely comes in handy.

1 Like

I agree with the different pedagogical approaches that is used to facilitate different types of learners and knowledge does not become something different. Indeed the use of social media such as Viber and Messenger can enhance effective communication between the teachers and the students.

2 Likes

So correctly stated Shivneet. It is only made easier for students grasp the knowledge by the use of different media. Educators use most appropriate means for students at different levels in understanding the concept, whereby some can use in the form of animations, or stories or clips.

1 Like

In order for a particular knowledge to be acquired or convey a particular knowledge, the are represented in different forms of media but the fact of the knowledge remains the same no matter what form of media it takes. Considering my teaching and learning environment, its more of a Synchronous Teaching type.
The type of media that would be suitable for my ODFL classes would be:
-video conferencing
-group chats on messenger
-Viber live group chats
-zoom lessons
This can limit flexibility for learners. Because of the need for everyone to be present at the same time (even if online), all students must work through the course at a similar pace, allowing only minimal flexibility in scheduling

3 Likes

Indeed knowledge does not changes and only the way knowledge and information is disseminated is different to meet the learners needs.

2 Likes

I prefer reading e-books, because the information are clearly represented through charts, pictures and other graphics.
In relation to the forum questions we can say that the information does not change when represented by different media

2 Likes

I used to enjoy reading printed books, not anymore, except for some occasions. With the introduction of the internet, world wide web and introduction of media, it seem to change the taste and preference of what we used to. I now prefer to read e-books. Is it really a change of taste and preference or a change of attitude?

1 Like

Yes definitely agree with you…

Knowledge is base on facts…

Moreover, all forms of online platforms helps teachers and students to communicate effectively and efficiently too…But that all depends the bandwidth of the network and the availability of e -resources …

2 Likes

In my humble opinion, I prefer to have both e - book and printed books. This can be interweave in our teaching and learning scenarios in order to enhance it, hence makes it interesting for the learners as well…

3 Likes

Module 1 Discussion Question #1 is very much related to Module 2 - the way the receiver receives and interpret the information is highly impacted by the type, the quality and the use of communication media

2 Likes

Yes, knowledge does become different when represented by different media. Through animation, children do learn quickly because it stays in their minds forever. Children do love cartoons rather than giving things in text only.

Learning Management System (LMS) messaging function, email, text, phone calls, social media, audio, video, google classroom, messenger, viber, skype, zoom and moodle are some forms of media that are applicable to online teaching.
For my classroom, I would better use viber because that’s the form we are currently using in Fiji during this pandemic.

3 Likes

Same sentiments here. Books are not that much used nowadays and written text are fading away. E- learning and E -teaching are words to be heard nowadays.

1 Like

All forms of online platforms help teachers but different localities have different forms and it all depends on the availability of resources.
Vinaka

1 Like

Knowledge is facts and different media have different ways to present it. Facts is more important than the way it is presented.

3 Likes

Good morning everyone
just to respond to the above statement i believe that each student learn differently, some grasp things when they see, some when they have hands-on experience, some as they listen they absorb knowledge as they were taught while some learn things through their own pace. However, due to technology our children had lean more to technology than other means, so i think that when it comes to learning a mathematical function i believe both ways can be used, that is, animation and written. When animation is being used, it will grasp students attention, easy for them to register formulas and so on, however, if the written material is in front of them, together with the animation it will and might make it easier for them to grasp the concept.
So i believe using moodle or google classroom can be used for ODFL classes.

2 Likes
  1. Different media have different educational impacts. Same teaching should not be used for different medium. If different pedagogies would be used, then children will learn more deeply and effectively.
  2. Educators know that different approaches work for different learners. So even when one approach is successful with a majority of our learners, we need to remember that it may not work for others. During this lockdown, I have used both means to deliver my teaching. Some reasons are;
    Asynchronous
  3. Students do not want to spare their weekend days, holidays, and other important days for the class. So it’s better they are engage asynchronously
  4. Families and busy people: students in this environment are not able to meet for zoom or video conferencing so they stick to the forum.
  5. Technical: network issues
  6. Language: some students who are not fluent speakers will dodge the class. They will be comfortable in forum replies.
    Moreover, asynchronous learning promotes deeper reflection, provides opportunities for learners to conduct and contribute research, and creates almost unlimited space for every individual to participate

In contrary, synchronous

1. less stressful
  2. I realized that some studemts found it difficult to be personable in just writing. I collaborated with different studnets and some needed to meet synchronously via text or video. I also realized that this was often conducive to reaching decisions faster and bouncing off ideas.
  3. Everything was to the point. Ideas are exchanged then and there.
3 Likes