CS4ODFL (PAC) - Module 2 Forum

Discuss the following questions. Post your responses and then review your colleagues’ posts and respond to at least two of your peers. Try to respond to someone who has not been responded to yet.

• Do you think that knowledge becomes something different when represented by different media? For instance, does an animation of a mathematical function represent something different from a written or printed equation of the same function? Which is the most ‘mathematical’: the formula or the animation?
  • Selecting and using media for ODFL communication is a crucial activity in both synchronous and asynchronous modes of teaching. Consider your teaching and learning environment and list and discuss the media that would be most suitable for your ODFL classes.
6 Likes

The way knowledge is perceived definitely changes when represented by different media. It makes a difference on the character, the experience and the effect within an individual. Portrayal of knowledge through a different media has difference of impact on the cognition, belief, attitude, affect, physiology, and behavior of the learner. The best media for ODFL communication in our environment would be viber for communication with students since it is most easily accessible and group chats are made easy.

4 Likes

Knowledge is characterized by facts. Whichever form and format it is presented, the facts remain thesame and thus the meaning, except further built upon.

3 Likes

Knowledge is built on superiority of ideas. It is subject to change with new facts behind the known. And the more novel ideas or established ones are further subjected to interrogation and research, the facts get modified with new facts. For example, what was known about COVID-19 in 2020 when it reared its ugly head is not the same with what is known about it in 2022. Therefore, aside the different manner of presentation, the facts have fundamentally evolved.

3 Likes

Facts do not change regardless of what type of media is used, or the type of presentation. Depending on the type, and the quality of facts presented (with the use of different types of media), I believe knowledge will become something different.
Selecting the best type of media for ODFL communication, I guess is all depends. There is no best method suitable because everyone (teacher and student) is different, time and location aren’t and can’t be the same, and what best suits one place, student or teacher will not always be suitable for others. The best media selection will be part of the learning process. What is affordable by some may be very expensive for others. In time, one will be able to decide the best means of communication.

5 Likes

ShonamRao - It would be good if these media medium means are promoted with all their features, capability, affordability, durability, their ‘complexibility’ and you name them. If I were to choose between social media, I would not able to, because I have no idea for the best one.

3 Likes

Knowledge may change in the way it is presented by different media.
The best media for ODFL communication in our environment would be viber hence that will depend on the availability of data.
Vinaka

5 Likes

Yes knowledge is delivered way better when presented through means of media. Through media students get to understand concepts better. For example when studying internal organs of a body it would be more appropriate for a teacher to show a video from You Tube instead of looking at a picture from textbook.

4 Likes

Yes, I believe technology and media transformed the process learning and interacting of learners with their environment. It discover the potential relationship between teaching process and learning environments.

2 Likes

According to the educational experience gained, it would be incorrect to say that knowledge changes when represented by the use of different media. As such , the research and findings carried out in the past will have different meanings in this digital world and based on that new research based studies would be needed to support the theories outlined.
The most suitable media for ODFL:
the blended mode - which will have mixture of online and face to face classes, because students are still familiar with traditional way of teaching and they are able to perform in their comfortable area better

3 Likes

The use of media in History makes knowledge interesting. For instance, in History, most students don’t understand the notes, but when it plays in Documentary media form then they easily understand. Facts will remain facts and media don’t change that, unless it from an unknown and unreliable source.

2 Likes

bkabuatioer- It is true that choosing between social media or any mean/medium for our content delivery can be quite a task, yet a very important one for digital learning. This is where it becomes essential to analyse our digital ecosystem and carry out a bit of research on which forms of media are most accessible to our students, conducive to exchanging learning materials and collaborative tasks, etc. As educators, we will also need to take the initiative to learn about the features of each media (easily accessible via google search) to be able to select the best media for our online teaching.

3 Likes

1.) Knowledge is a broad term for learning attributed to content and facts and i believe it does not change when it is represented by different media however the way knowledge is attained is enhanced differently with the use of different media. In simple term’s the content of knowledge is not changed but the way in which people are able to perceive that knowledge has an impact on the type of media used. Take for example the situation given comparing animation and a written mathematical function, both have the same content which is on how to solve an equation however i am pretty sure the animated one might be most easy to understand for many students since it uses graphics, picture etc to make it more creative and easy to understand. In terms of which is the most mathematical then we have to go back to our old method of teaching and as it has always been Math is learnt by written method, we can’t always use animations to solve equations, we have to scribble on a book but with the use of other forms of media we can try to make learning a bit more easy and creative.
2.) Speaking in terms of a medical students, the forms of media that would be most suitable for us would have to be text in the form of textbooks for better understanding concepts, audio (for listening to stuff like breath sounds and heart sounds) and not forgetting video (to learn different clinical procedures)

4 Likes

Knowledge is something that is build through reading,searching the web and also one gain from experience.Through the use of the different types of media I think that all the facts and ideas are the same but some are easy to find while others are not accessible to.For example:Some ideas or facts are kept confidential that only some people have the access to it.Also,on how it is presented.Mainly on students most of them would prefer colourful pictures,drawing and graphs it means alot to them.For ODFL I would prefer facebook because it is best for my students and easily accessible by them.

2 Likes
  1. :shushing_face:Knowledge can be shared or taught using different methods/media…we have different level of learners and depending on their ability we have to teach. Some learners cannot understand graphics or animation easily. For example in economics teaching demand and supply for instance can be done using simple equation and graphs and explained theoretically. We can also use utube videos to show students the explanation for obtaining equilibrium price and quantity and also solve mathematical simultaneous equation to derive the equilibrium price and quantity. Formula is mathematical; animation can have theory and explanation.
  2. Since I have different levels and types of students, I would use face to face classes with combination of online tools such as Moodle, Messenger, Viber, Google Forms, Zoom and Google Meet. I will also use utube videos which I can show in class during my teaching and learning during my face to face classes and also upload in my Moodle the links for the various topics. :heart_eyes:
3 Likes

Hi @ShonamRao @Gurgur @bkabuatioer @merewalesisaukuru @MoneetDeo @sisiliatabutoa @Amla_nand @Mokuaro @Vishalni-18 @geeta.krishna - many thanks for your views on the matter.

Quick question #CS4ODFL ers: Do you prefer to read printed books or e-books? (How does the former question relate to Module 2 Discussion Question #1?

1 Like

Knowledge remains the same while the representation of knowledge by different media such as text, graphic, audio, video and computing are the different ways knowledge is delivered to the learners. There are various types of teaching pedagogies, strategies and media that are used to teach the same knowledge and share information from different contexts. For instance, the use of animations for representing the formula represents the same equation of the function, as the formula is mathematical in nature.

The media that would be most suitable for ODFL classes include; firstly, video whereby YouTube clips relating to the topics covered can be used for sharing information, secondly, graphics specifically diagrams can be used for allowing learners to easily grasp knowledge, and finally, online discussion forums can be used for allowing students to respond to the discussion questions and posting new forums for construction of effective communication channels.

7 Likes

-As modern technology is rapidly changing the nature of knowledge production, it is becoming increasingly important in the field of educational development to examine whether, as a result, these changes are fostering inclusion or creating greater disparity.Media and technology have evolved hand in hand from decade to decade, and together they have created an informational environment. If information is so accessible, than, in theory, the average level of knowledge will raise. The advancements in technology have enabled us to gain access to a much wider range of knowledge. In a way, knowledge has also become more “democratic”. Almost anyone can access, and even disseminate, knowledge online.Technology is a major enabler of decision to serve the end users. Therefore, its fundamental role is in profiling both end users and generators of knowledge in order to personalize their needs. … In the process, technology helps sort, categorize and synthesize knowledge according to defined needs.

2 Likes