AS4ODFL (PAC) Forms of assessment

i apply mostly on the assessment of learning and assessment for learning. it shows learners learning capabilities whilst understanding their competencies. I use assessment as learning ,
mainly on some topics required like drama and debate but consumes learners time on other learning activities. it challenges me on time management and planning ahead on such assessments

1 Like

Assessment for learning, of learning and as learning can be integrated into a single lesson. They all help to enhance students learning. The normal formative assessment carried out when students are given oral assessments help to identify this forms of assessments. The exams at the end is summative assessment.

1 Like

for the past years as kindergarten teacher i mostly use checklists where only to assess what learners achieved what are yet to achieve which more focused on assessment of and assessment for, after reading through the three forms of assessments this would help me to revise my assessment strategies…

I used mostly Assessment for learning because it does involve students and me. It enable me to adjust my of teaching that the students will easily understand and also help identify the weakness or problems that students faces. This is done by asking students question of the topics that have just been gone through or not yet been gone through, if they have a little understanding to the topics.

1 Like

I finally realized how much my focus is on assessment of learning rather than assessment for learning or assessment as learning.

Thank you madam. We were just giving assessment anyhow but after this course I am sure I will choose mu assessment well so that my students learn as they go along.

I think assessment as learning or assessment for learning will produce more learned students.

1 Like

In Fiji our syllabus is so objective and outcomes based that teachers will only assess formatively and summatively most of the time. But with the reintroduction of classroom based assessments or CBA’s I hope it will address some aspects of student assessing themselves with the tasks given in relation to the topics covered.

1 Like

It is not that simple as it seems (types of assessments). Yes, as a teacher I mostly focus on the learning objectives and assess to find out what and how much they have learnt which is assessment for learning as the teacher is a facilitator and the students are actually involved in all spheres of learning. To my understanding assessment of learning is more of a teacher centred approach as teachers only assess to find out how much students have attained. Furthermore, assessment as learning is the icing on the cake whereby the student is also part of the creative learning and teaching process. The student gives 100% in this type of learning.

1 Like

Yes, I totally agree with you. However, many teachers are teaching according to the textbooks nowadays rather than the Syllabus.

Teaching is the process of impacting the one individual to learn and understand things. In every school the teachers teaches student on a variety of programs and courses. Therefore, each courses has their own learning outcomes and and structure. So at the end of the semester, the teachers will assess them according to their leaning throughout the semester. So in this case, it is very important for the teachers to review their student either they have understand the concept of this course or not. Therefore, the teachers will always give feedback to their student according to their learning outcome or the outcome of their learning.

1 Like

well I got to know. This is the best way of learning, the way we follow the objective of the course and we define it is better way to understand the status of the course and be easy to carry out learning activity

Bula ezta22…in our school we use Bloom’s to create our blueprints for internal assessments.

We use Knowledge (60%), Comprehension (20%), and Analysis (20%) so our more challenged students can have a chance and build up their self esteem.

Knowledge questions using Knowledge keywords are in our multiple choices, and short answer questions.

Bula williemaetee

Have groups of students come with different amounts of money to the ‘cashier’ as they would do in a real life situation, and the whole group can work out the change owed. I believe this is assessment as learning because students come up with the answer themselves.

Happy teaching :blush:.

Bula my colleague

Agree with the example of assessment as learning. Students will participate actively in their learn as it was a daily real life activity for them. They will be able to learn addition and subtraction of decimal number effectively.

Happy Teaching :+1:

Being a PSET Trainer I used to Assess Learning’s Measures of Knowledge, Skills Performance and value learners have attained at the end of a learning cycle in comparison to the PSET standards for competence which required by VQA during assessment.

Assessment for learning: I used to ask oral questions in delivery sessions and give them activities to check their reflections and from responses, together we adjust either my teaching or their misunderstanding.

Assessment as learning: I used to give feedback in assessment value when conducting assessment sessions. When the judgement requires re-assessment then it helps them to think and using what they find out to make adjustment to the way they approach learning.

I am a teacher and I always using assessment for learning. In this learning, teacher may create group students and select an appropriate topic for each group to be discussed. This done by completing its topic and teacher want to try his students whether they understand the concept or not. This will give a chance for teacher to identify any misunderstanding, difficult or gaps in knowledge adjust teacher teaching style.

Hi, agree with your assessment for learning format. In my reflections in high school days, I remember our teacher always asking some oral question in related to the topic he taught and I believed that it is a good approach for every teacher to check students at the end of their lesson.

Teachers often make use of these types of assessments in a single lesson. Being a student I am able to learn from very carefully planned lessons that involve a lot of discussion. We were often put into groups of 3 and assigned a question from a literary text to discuss and either illustrate our respond by role play or putting up our collaborative response on the board for further discussions. This proves assessment for, of and as because students build their knowledge and understanding in collaborative effort while the teacher provides comments to help.

I think I use all of them, however, most of the time I use Assessment of learning. This is because my concentration is on collecting enough marks for a particular assessment period before it ends.