AS4ODFL (PAC) Forms of assessment

Yes that is also true for me. the curriculum date lines has forced us to depend on Assessment of learning to evaluate students performance rather than using assessment for and as learning to judge a true effort for students.

As a teacher I integrate all forms of assessments. I utilizes Assessment for Learning (AFL) in formative assessments such as continuous assessments to facilitate students learning. Students also utilizes Assessment as Learning (AAL) to better organize themselves to comprehend tasks given and read and attempt activities for their own understanding and learning. Assessment of Learning (AOL) is also done in the form or summative tests and or examination towards the end of a particular topic or end of term or academic year. All forms of assessments needed to be carried out as it is because their compliment each others to facilitate teaching and learning.

After reading all 3 definitions and understanding each one, I can say that I have often used assessment of Learning and Assessment for learning as Assessment as Learning is rarely used. Assessment as Learning is also so important because it gets the students to think outside the box promoting high-level thinkers. Implementing all 3 into daily teaching practices reminds me of ‘Bloom’s taxonomy’.

1 Like

As part of my teaching, I make use of assessment for learning because to plan future learning goals and pathways for students through their performance to improve more.

Thank you for your response. To encourage students to think more deeply about how they learned, we can give them a planning (with task and specific learning outcomes) or a check-list to allows the student to see their progress, if they have meet the targeted skills and also, to allow them to choose their easy learning method. For example, a weekly planning offers the opportunity for students to organize their learning and work independently or in groups. They can work in their own pace.
I hope I answered correctly your question.

As a composite class teacher, I have been implementing, both Assessment of Learning and Assessment for Learning for assessment. Mainly for Summative Assessment and to get proper grades for my students and it has work wonderfully.

Yes,I could say that the three forms of assessment had been used as part of my teaching. That is when I used questions and prompts during a topic discussion and could see that learners are participating and engaging in the learning, and or evaluating my teaching and the learners progress.

As a student, I firmly believe “assessment as learning” is my way of learning. I gain the ability to notice my own thoughts and process. The way learning goes help me understand exactly where i stand and what i need to work on.

I am a teacher in a francophone secondary school in Vanuatu and I used to apply the first two types of assessment on assessment of learning and assessment for learning in my teaching .
Howerver, I need to think on the assessment as learning in my teaching especially in this era of COVID 19 pandemic that is affecting my country nowadays .

2 Likes

In my 12 years of teaching experience I must say that I have been using these 3 described assessment interchangeably and sometimes integrating two at least. Assessment as learning I come to use when an activity I design to be cooperative learning. In groups of three, students discuss at least three questions and later present their learning while others listen and take notes, then another group comes up but with different questions to present. However, time is one factor that I find as challenge to do assessment as learning-to let students learn at their on pace. Thus, I am more common with the first two types of assessments.

Mauri @ezta22 good to see you. Tekeraoi riki.

Teaching is a wonderful profession that impacts the livelihood of an individual. From where I come from, all the assessments are required in an institution. For instance, at the end of a semester students sit an Exam and that is “Assessment of learning”. In a particular semester I carry out activities for students to measure the level they are in. From there on I come to find their weakness and strengths and so find necessary solutions to help upgrade their learning. That off course is “Assessment for learning”. “Assessment as Learning” on the other hand, is not often used but I think it comes in during internal assessment especially "oral presentation where students create their own poem/song out from the themes of literatures studied in class. All in all, Assessments are very important when it comes to learning.

1 Like

Being a teacher is everything. First, I have to know my content well then organize myself on how it can be taught. Planning how to facilitate students’ learning must involve assessment of, assessment for and assessment as learning. Students need to see the significance of their learning process in their learning experience. For instance, by introducing a classroom discussion based on an assigned theme from a selected short story, students can learn from each other and have the opportunity to participate in their own learning. They can later work individually to write their own poems or songs based on the theme and produce a power point presentation. This is part of creative response and an integrating technique.

Iam teaching in FODE Instition,PNG,and this is my second year teaching carreer.I understand Assessment for Learning as capturing natural
understanding of the students on the concepts that they have been exposed to in previous schools or learning resources before actually conducting tutorials.This is particularly done to identify students strengths and weaknesses indicated to me as a teacher to bridge the concepts lacked in their cognition and learning process.So in preparation to this type of teaching I derive questions from the key information in each lesson topic.It is like a survey in a topic that would be taught lesson by lesson.It is effected in a way a student is not discouraged when exposing their answers but closer one on one mode is applied to a student that lacks a lot.I use
Assessment for Learning style.
After this ,Assessment of Learning is weighed in in-class tutorial activities for students in the end of each lesson.I personally mark their students activities and guide them into the correct concepts,in preparation for assessable assignments ,tests,and external exams.I also apply Assessment of Learning but not the 3rd, Assessment as Learning.Just not aware of it.

Assessment for Learning involves checking what your students understand and can do as the learning process is happening so you identify any misunderstandings, difficulties or gaps in knowledge and adjust your teaching to address these. i think teaching is best by understanding student difficulties and readjust yourself to enable student learning. student sometimes may not understand a concept of what you deliver because your teaching method might not simple or clear enough for them to understand.

After reading the 3 forms of assessments, I found that during my teaching, I used assessment of learning and assessment for learning.
Assessment of learning is our widely used method to assess students learning at the end of each unit, term and semester. This is to measure student learning against other students in his/her class or nationally (especially in national examinations). It was the traditional method of assessment used in my country, Solomon Islands.
I used assessment for learning during class time. First, I guide students thoroughly when explaining concepts and examples. Those students that do not grasp the concept during my explanation will be provided with one on one explanation while other continue with the class activity. Secondly, I had one on one assistance with my students after marking their works after class. This is to help highlight students when and where their mistake was. Students learn at different modes and pace, therefore, as teachers we must not use the saying “one shoe fits all”. Its good help all students to learn.

1 Like

Absolutely, teaching an examination class gives me the same problem. I turned to focus more on exam schedules and deadlines other than assessing my students’ learning. Thus, I coach students other than enabling then to learn at their own pace.

1 Like

I support your statement. As teachers we must implement all 3 assessments of learning in our daily teaching. Prompting students to think out of the box help them to see the purpose of learning and will encourage them to see learning is a practical and real life process. They will be able to used learning in real life situations like knowing how much they will get as change when they purchase items cost $25 with a $100 note.

2 Likes

I am a teacher from Solomon islands, as part of my teaching strategies, I do apply the two types of assessments, the assessment of learning and the assessment for learning. however assessment as learning is quite challenging due to time factor ,thus i was trying to cover the syllabus on its time frame

1 Like

I do concur with what you have discussed. All three should complement each other in a student’s learning.