AS4ODFL (PAC) Forms of assessment

I suggest I have used all these forms of assesssments in class with the students during or even after certain topics to assess students achievement, to give feedbacks to improve learning etc…

I think I am using assessment of learning most of the time because my concern is to finish my syllabus and to get the test done.
However, as I get used to the system of doing things, I was able to move closer to assessment for learning and assessment as learning. I was able to integrate all the three while in the classroom with my students.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

During the teaching-learning process, I use Assessment for Learning as a formative assessment to determine the student’s level of understanding in order to guide student’s learning. However, at the end of the teaching-learning process, I use Assessment of Learning to evaluate the extent of my student’s learning.

It’s great that you managed to integrate all 3 forms of assessment in your teaching.

I personally make sure any lessons I present have all three forms of assessment integrated. At the beginning of a lesson as you are about to introduce a topic, you try to review what they learnt from the previous lesson or lessons - this is assessment for learning. As I move on from the introductions to the main body of the lesson, for any discussions or group activities, the questions involved are centered around assessment as learning. As I step into concluding a lesson, I make sure the questions I ask identify with me that the student has learnt in that particular lesson - assessment of learning. I must say that after observing so many teachers in the field, lessons presented without all forms, either just one form or two is not effective enough for students to learn effectively. There has to be sufficient, effective, appropriate and relevant interaction between teachers and students via the three forms of assessments for me to agree that students have learnt from the lesson presented.

To me, I would say partly because time factor is a problem. Some students tend to learn slower than others and assisting them drags time for another lesson to cover. However, it is important to address this for better learning for students.

I don’t think there is only one correct answer to my question. Planning is an important skill that supports learning, yes. Students may need support to plan their learning, we can support them as teachers. There is a difference between what students learn, and how they learn. We can support them to think more deeply about how they learn by encouraging them to reflect on their learning, by asking questions, by modelling that, and sharing our own reflections with students. We can build this into teaching and assessment OF, FOR and AS learning.

You see to be very supportive of students. Assessment of learning and Assessment for learning can happen at the same time: when I assess what students know, I can also identify what they have not understood, and teach it again or find other ways to support them to succeed in learning. Assessment as learning encourages students to think for themselves about what they have learned, and how they have learned it. Peer and self-assessment are good examples of assessment as learning. Students learn to reflect on their own and on other students’ learning. I hope this course will help you to become more aware of assessment as learning, and how to apply it with your students.

2 Likes

Engaging students in peer reflections and doing individual evaluation about what they have learnt. Using questions as guides to reflect back could help students to think deeply into their learning.

1 Like

This is valuable. When we design our activities using carefully thought out questions we can integrate learning and all three types of assessment.

I prefer using the Assessment for learning because as a teacher, it is very important to understand the weaknesses of students and to come up with good teaching strategy that can address such weakness and difficulties faced by student.

I practically used these types of Assessment in my teaching and learning without knowing what type of assessment used. After reading these different types of assessment and I realized that I have come across and practice these kind of assessment in my teaching. For instance, the Assessment of learning are commonly used at the end of terms examinations and including national examinations. Additionally, the assessment for learning is commonly practiced in every classes starting from their daily activities and providing ongoing feedback which enable them to identify at risk students early and monitor student progress and performances regularly. Finally, the assessment as learning involves the students thinking and findings on their own. I usually carried out this kind of assessment in their practical and experimental work where they used their own understanding in creating their experiment and findings.

1 Like

It has been 10 years ago since I left teaching but looking back into my teaching career with what I am learning now, I can say that I have used all three Assessment techniques although I did not know which was which.

For Assessment of Learning, it was the End of Term Tests. For Assessment for Learning, instead of giving tests, I verbally questioned them in class and used their feedback to either do recapping if it was a lesson already covered or asked them to do their own research as part of their homework if it was something that we had not covered. For Assessment as Learning, it was very applicable in the science practical lessons. For example, Fractional Distillation is covered in Chemistry class. I used that to connect to the actual LNG gas in our country and helped my Chemistry Students to see how gases distillate at different temperatures. They were able to make connections with real life application and appreciate what they were learning at that time and try to master it. This is just one example.

I have tried my best to integrate all types of assessment since my teaching subject requires practical work.
Of course at times, we are more focused on completing the syllabus for the year and forget about the learning of the students in the classroom. Therefore, this is a kind reminder as well to re-look at our current methods of assessment to improve teaching and learning in the classroom.

Of course, we always make use of these assessments in our teaching approach in class to engage and enhance student’s understandings by:

• Doing Common Assessment Task like a test for every 6 weeks of the term to test students understandings
  • Doing a group work on research, pair work in laboratory work.

These activities or style of approaches will weave student knowledge individually and socially in class or in a community. Students learned how to work individually and in a group through research and sharing their own perspective on such matters discussed in class.

From what have experience in teaching inside the classroom, I have been mostly do assessments of learning. There are quiet number of reason why this form of assessment is widely use.

1. It is a normal practice done inside the classroom in using this type of assessment to test student learning level at the end of a lesson topic
  2. It is very easy to used and it does not require a lot of effort for the assessor and the learner.
  3. We have a syllabus to complete for each topic, so giving assessment at the end of each lesson topic to test whether the learning outcome is achieved or not.
    Despite the focus of using this type of assessment the other two assessment is also used but not to much. But from my opinion i think when completing a lesson topic, a good lesson has all the three forms of assessment to make a good lesson.

From what have experience in teaching inside the classroom, I have been mostly do assessments of learning. There are quiet number of reason why this form of assessment is widely use.

It is a normal practice done inside the classroom in using this type of assessment to test student learning level at the end of a lesson topic
It is very easy to used and it does not require a lot of effort for the assessor and the learner.
We have a syllabus to complete for each topic, so giving assessment at the end of each lesson topic to test whether the learning outcome is achieved or not.
Despite the focus of using this type of assessment the other two assessment is also used but not to much. But from my opinion i think when completing a lesson topic, a good lesson has all the three forms of assessment to make a good lesson.

As part of our teaching we use all three types of Assessment. Assessment of learning is done when we have done our coverages. At times this method of assessment is done end of each topic to test how much students have understood one particular topic. Assessment for learning is done everyday after teaching one topic. where as assessment as learning Assessment as learning is used by students to reflect their performance.

Because Assessment of Learning assists me to use evidence of learner’s learning to assess learner achievement against learning goals and standards,
while Assessment for Learning enables me to use information about learner’s knowledge, understanding and skills to inform teaching which provide feedback to participants about their learning and how to improve,
lastly Assessment as Learning involves the participants in the learning process where they monitor their own progress, ask questions and practice skills and they use self-assessment and trainer’s feed back to reflect on their learning, consolidate their understanding and work towards learning goals!