AS4ODFL (PAC) Feedback and collaboration

Many of you have spoken about self- and peer-assessment. Perhaps you can share more about the value of self- and peer-assessment, even though it may not be for ‘marks’.

1 Like

students have quite big time during the lesson to learn collaboratively with peers/student of his/her group. They discuss their prior knowledge of globalization, and share your thoughts and define globalization. In addition they share diagrams they produce with other group members and give feedback to each other. They also receive feed back from their teacher at the end of the lesson. Therefore it give amble time for students to participate more in collaborative learning.
Collaborative learning among students help provide timely feed backs to students’ work and learning. That is student in the group will provide feed back to their group members if they saw that their answer was wrong or they did not really answer the questions correctly before the teacher give them feed back. Furthermore, discussions among students is easily understood than teacher’s explanation and discussion. Hence, collaboration absolutely facilitate feed back to learning. Either among students themselves or teacher to students or students to teacher.

1 Like

Agree with your idea. Students learn skills and knowledge best collaboratively

Group work is more effective as it enable student to share ideas with their peers.

Group work activity gives students the chance to work together to boost their confidence and self esteem to respond on what they had been asked during the class.

I did not see the importance of group work until the days in university. Group work speeds learning and help individual share their ideas. A teacher who wants to speed up learning in terms of slow learners and fast learners, then group discussion is the best way to do that.
Students can get feedbacks straight away from smart ones and therefore boost their learning.

1 Like

Collaboration is a great way for learning however not all students do participate in it, there are cases where only two students attempt the task while others don’t, thus this does not reflect the performance of others in terms of assessment this would be unjust for the students that worked harder.
One way I tried to solve this was to give a few mins of my lesson time to actually view students participating, sharing, discussing and thus visit each working groups discuss their work and provide feedbacks. Also to hear from students and their feedback from the task given, it help me to improve on the task for the following academic year!
This works well for groups tasks such as presentations, report, poster or chart display, etc…

4 Likes

Firstly, working in groups and teams and sharing of ideas to their peers or teachers is a student collaboration. When we talk about student collaboration we refers to how student are sharing ideas togethers with their class mate and teachers to learn the skills and knowledge of learning. These strategy may seem consuming with the time but this allow student to be more active in practicing many times which classified them to be more advance in this learning systemi and it becomes one of the most effective strategies for student learning.
However, when student are involved in this strategy of learning, it become opportunity for them to be responsible respond and giving feedbacks to their own group presentations This strategy helps the teachers as well to learn from the student and become more uppgrade and builds on the prior knowledge of the students, it motivate them and motivate the students to change their thinking about a concept and enables them to improve more better in the career

2 Likes

The same thing I have learned when i move to university. Group work is the best way of learning

That is correct. Group work help students to be more collaborative in ideas, innovative and open minded

You write well about the value of group work.
Do you think group work can assist with large class numbers?
How can we balance group work with individual or pair work?

As students are sharing their thoughts and findings on what they know and when after doing their researches it shows that they are collaborating. And too as they are working together in small groups.
As students are sharing their findings to others at the same time they could be receiving feedbacks from others too who were listening.

1 Like

I agreed with your statement. In this way weaker students could learn and improve their understanding on a topic well too.

1 Like

Students learn from and teach each other, and by teaching they learn too, and so we see collaborative learning and teaching, because you are a teacher (and a learner) too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

1.The task gives learner excellent chances to collaborate within their group on sharing ideas among themselves in their level of understanding which encourages them to participate and gives ownership of their accomplishments
2.collaboration facilitates feedback by when learner challenge or support each others ideas through presentation this will provide much more opportunity to learn and be confident on themselves…

1 Like

Yes, that’s true. At times, group work is just for a few students who do the work while the rest are relaxing. But I think one way to solve that is issue is to divide the task among them. They will surely work on their given tasks to complete their group work.
But whatever way that suits us will be a big help for the following academic year! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I didn’t think of that I’ll try to incorporate that into groups task.

1 Like

The group tasks in the activity made for great learning through collaboration as it gave the students the opportunities to learn from each other when the shared what they each know and what they found from their individual research. Moreover, each student benefited much from the feedback they gave each other in their group discussions.

1 Like

I agree with you, group discussion is one great opportunity for our students to learn together and from each other.

1 Like

Working together in groups helps students to express themselves, share ideas on the contents of the topics. And it gives them opportunity to give feedback on their findings. This will help student to learn and know more of some of the things which they don’t know.

1. this activity is a good opportunity where students do their own researches and share with each other their findings to help learn from each other
  2. in this way the students will learn from others and try to adjust and improve if need be or learn more than what they have found out individually.
1 Like