AS4ODFL (PAC) Feedback and collaboration

A wonderful conversation here between @Geraldine @Evelynrojo @AugustineParapi and @manbauro , sharing ideas for how to improve participation in group work and build collaborative learning.

2 Likes
  1. The tasks are based on individual research and group collaborations
  2. It allows the groups to collaborate on their individual research and agree on a shared definition of a topic before applying it to their chosen areas of study. In this way the group members are providing feedback to themselves, giving them a chance to refine their collaborative task before giving it to their teacher for further scrutiny and feedback.

Student collaborative learning for me is about assigning group projects to students where they are required to create a portfolio of evidence or where students are required to present or submit groups in the classroom.

If students are aware that the final mark allocates to that project affects everyone in the group, then more collaboration and hard work may result.

With regards to feedback, distance-mode students only learn through feedback, therefore at our institution, we encourage all lecturers/tutors to provide individualised feedback to all students. The pay rate is also designed in such a way that more money is paid to tutors who provide individual feedback as opposed to those who only indicate ticks and crosses.

Also, feedback should be provided within the 24th after the students have submitted assignments.

1 Like

That’s true. Great feedback to improve our daily work in the classroom. Thanks for all the sharing!

I receive feedback from my own teaching results which informs me about how effective my planning is previously. To be able to work out how effective my own practice is will help students excel. Feedback as a result of what students accomplish helps to boost their confidence. In this course assessment for learning is encourage with explanation provided after each quiz to reinforce the understanding. If students in this course are allowed to communicate openly with each other to complete an activity then feedback can be further encouraged.

Working in groups and sharing ideas allows for student collaboration. When students work together in groups they able to share with each other what they already know and then build on their ideas from the feedback they receive from their group members.

Are students in this course allowed to communicate openly with each other? Do they do that?

This is true about group work. Is group work the only way students receive feedback from others? How have you received feedback in this course?

The activity is giving the opportunity to learners to exploring/developing new knowldge/skills and giving chance to express their thoughts and learning from each others. This type of activity will help trainers to understand well each group of learners way of learning.

1- The activity gives opportunity for student collaboration that allow them develop new
information and skills
2-That collaboration activity allows to express to perform well

The task give opportunities to the students in expressing themselves or sharing knowledge and information. With the existing knowledge that they have between each other about globalization they could share it between each other and also each can also gain new information among each other. It does give feedback to the teacher because this help the teacher of how much the children have understand so far of the term globalization.

:+1::+1::+1: thanks for sharing. I do agree on your discussion.

Like most of my colleagues have discussed I also agree with group work and collaboration, which will enhance stdents learning as they are sharing ideas and discussing together. Moreover the feedbacks will guide and also motivate their learning therefore they are connected to eachother.

The tasks involve group works that allowed students to collaborate with each other. The group works can be identified in their activities where they allocated in a small group to share their prior knowledge and understanding about ‘globalisation’ - this is where they discussed in their small groups. Another activity that involved group work was to share their research findings about globalisation. All these group activities facilitated through their own individual work where they build their own understanding about the topic, then they share what they have learnt from their individual findings to their peers in a small group.

The collaboration facilitates feedback based on the logistics of the tasks given that generate their deep understanding and thinking about globalisation. The sharing of ideas and findings generate or facilitate their discussion and feedback on each other’s idea and findings. For example, some peers in a group will find different ideas, therefore they may discussed why their ideas were differ and they sort the differences on the spot. Some members of the group may not smart enough or difficult to understand the theories around globalisation, so this is a gap where these students will learn from their smart peers.

This forum allows us to receive feedback from each other and able to to share what we have experience specifically our ideas in terms of assessment FOR,AS and OF learning from each other. In Kiribati, where I work student’s learning was boosted in small groups where they were able to share their own ideas and make judgement and during this lockdown majority of our student find it hard to learn online and attempt all the assessment due to lack of technology devices, the internet connection is unreliable to others but those who manage to access to internet were then share what they have downloaded in relation to assessments and other resources; thus learning in small groups and through online is very helpful

Teamwork is an incredibly powerful learning strategy that support collaboration. As indicated in the activity-based assessment, learners teach crucial communication skills such as listening, reading, speaking and writing. For example, In Task 1 and Task 3 allow students to work collaboratively to communicate their prior knowledge and also to share findings. Such activities support collaboration in which learners learn to speak effectively and listen attentively. Task 2 and Task 4 provide great opportunities to individuals to broaden their understandings through engaging with readings and resources that essential for writing an expected product (i.e. diagram that shows the impact of globalization).

It is vital to perceive that when students collaborate they support and learn from each other. This is what feedback required. A learner would accomplish learning goals when there’s a feedback make from fellow colleagues and a teacher before, during and after the learning and teaching process in order to support and help individuals to refine, reflect and improve works.

Initially ,the feedback enables the student to relook at their assessment by giving then a second chance of doing better in the next assessment.
Second, it gives them the opportunity to come out from their comfort zone and express themselves by asking more and more questions on areas where improvement is needed.

In the first task, students are assessed on what they already know - pre-knowledge, or assessment of learning. Second task makes students assimilate new knowledge, while the third and fourth tasks again test their ability to use knowledge gained to create more. Final task assesses students ability to assess themselves and be able to explain their adaptation to the particular learning process, all the while enhancing students’ collaborative and social skills , and promotes comradeship. Learning, here, involves consistent feedback among the students. A give and take situation, rather sharing.

it can help students develop essential communication and collaboration skills while preparing them for success inside and outside of the classroom.