AS4ODFL (PAC) Changes to assessment approach

A lot of changes

Totally agree with your wonderful sharing

From my experience, a lot have changed in my approach to assessment. Like what other participants have mentioned, Yes, examination used to be the only thing in mind. Now, I am integrating all forms of assessment and I can see that it worked because I get more feedbacks from students and we are able to make changes accordingly.
The only challenged that I was faced with was during the first outbreak of Covid-19 in Fiji and here in Tuvalu, we had to do online teaching. I could not do any assessment as learning with the students because it was our first time to do so.

I also have the same experience. As part of our job is to finish the syllabus sometimes makes us forget the learning process of the students.
Thanks for sharing!

Alot of changes has been made in my assessment. As I continued to receive feedbacks from students performances I improve my forms of assessment. Sometimes when an assessment is not valid as seen in students performances I take the responsibility to improve. We must not forget that teachers also learnt from students a lot to change and to improve.

For the last 2 years, my assessment approaches in my course development have become more varied, relevant and engaging through the use of more student-centred and interactive ways of assessing student’s learning.

I agree with you. We certainly must update/adjust/improve based on our students’ learning needs in order for us to teach them.

Hi @sheiladrew…I believe there has been so much changes from the recent past to now in that the amount of assessment in a particular lesson presented has been reduced dramatically. This leads to teacher-centered classrooms where teachers are more concerned about completing a syllabus for end of term tests and end of year exams. However, if teachers were more serious about presenting an effective lesson which would result in effective learning, all lessons must be planned according to the termly or annual scheme of work so that all forms of assessments plus feedback to assessments for positive reinforcement in learning can happen.

You have raised very interesting points.
As you work through this course, keep in mind questions such as: ‘What is the role of the teacher in learner-centred, activity-based teaching and learning?’; and ‘What are the similarities and differences in the role of the teacher in face-to-face and remote/virtual teaching?’

With more challenges to learning and especially with the pandemic impacts and threats, we must still see the need for a purposeful lifelong learning. We need to ensure we prepare student-centered lessons that should have in each of them all three forms of assessment. That is why, I wish to acknowledge @sheiladrew and @DeepakPrasad, for their great contribution in assisting us to include other medium learning pathways to resort to for ongoing learning. It is now a matter of great concern for us teachers to readjust and adopt new teaching mechanisms with certainly a lot of patience to learn new online skills to be able to include all three forms of assessment as well as receiving and providing appropriate relevant feedbacks for these assessments to our students via online teaching.

Giving assessments to my students is continuous process. Working with my experience colleagues, I started to learn from them by improving my assessment structures and inputs for more effective way. And I still want to keep improving.

You all raise so many issues, and each one of them has an impact on how we teach, and how students learn: large classes, lack of access to the internet, the ICT skills of students and teachers. Students need support to learn under difficult circumstances. Our role as teachers is mostly a supportive one. In this conversation we are starting to see that when we integrate assessment OF, FOR and AS learning, we are able to provide better support. We can build in support through activity-based learning and assessment. How can we support students if we are teaching online, or face to face or a mix or blend of the two? Students can support each other too if we plan carefully. Planning for teaching, learning and assessment go hand in hand.
Think about your own learning in this course: what is the role of the facilitator? what is your role as a student?
I am seeing lots of good engagement and debate, and I believe you are learning from that.

2 Likes

Before I joined TVET, I was with Measurement Services Division where we set National Examination for the country, which is Assessment of Learning. That has been the only Assessment technique we ever carried out on a national scale.

I am happy to say that in the last 2 years of so, we have changed by taking on board Assessment for Learning on a national scale. We are now incorporating Curriculum Standards Monitoring Test (CSMT), which is our country’s large scale assessment tool (similar to PILNA) for assessing the performance of Year 5 and 7 students in English and Mathematics. It is a biannual activity so I am looking forward to the second country report to see our students performance in those two subjects. This will not only help us in improving our English and Mathematics Curriculum, but also to propose interventions to improve the delivery of teaching those two subjects.

1 Like

My approaches to assessment have changed over the years and this is because we are more focusing on student-centered than teacher-centered. I have faced many challenges which include trying to analyze where I go wrong in regards to students marks. Once I got the idea that we need to focus on the learning of students, my approaches to learning and especially assessing them changed.

In the last two year, i have changed the approaches to learning assessments because, during the years studies are becoming more developed in terms of the way an assessment should be done. Before it is usually assessment of learning. This where students assessments of learning measures the knowledges, skills attitudes and values gained or attained at the end of the learning cycle. But now it has changed to assessment for learning, in this way students are able to make known to the lecturer whether they understand or not.

1 Like

I am encouraged by your openness to change and to think about assessment differently.

In the last two years my assessment changes in terms of application of technology. Students are now encourage to use Moodle for their learning. Forum discussion allows for students to interact and receive feedback.

Yes, i have changed my assessment in the classroom teaching by involving use of ICT and technology. This has made students gain more attention in the classes.

Yes, I have changed my approaches to assessment through the use of technology and implementing new strategies by designing lessons and power point slides in a unique and creative ways to make the learning and teaching look more attractive for students.

Over the past two years. I have face challenge in inter-cooperate this three assessment in a lesson activity. But as the rise of the usage of technology i have tried to change my approached in terms of assessment.

I guess the role of the teacher in 'learner-centred, activity-based teaching and learning is to ‘wisely’ design a lesson (activity) that will ‘inspire’ the learner ‘to do’, to discover, to want to do more to learn. One best way to do this is to design an ‘integrated’ lesson (activity) or series of activities.
There is no difference in design, application and implementation, the difference comes in the tools (ICT) and few advanced features related to the use and applications as in remote mode.

1 Like