AS4ODFL (PAC) Changes to assessment approach

You capture it well, the role of the teacher - to inspire learners to learn by doing, questioning, discovering, whatever tools you use, face to face or remote.

2 Likes

When was in a classroom setting there are usually 60 plus students in class thus Assessment of Learning work out better for me as it allowed me to manage learning and assess students respnsiveness to what was taught however for the last five years i have been using summative form of assessment as my teaching methods has changed from direct classroom into coorospondence learning and thus is both challenging and rewarding as well. AS4ODFL#

If I did change my approach to assessment in the last two years? The answers would be YES, however, less effectively as I suppose due to the setting and environment I maybe in. I can learn all the teaching and assessing skills but to fully utilize it to develop my students will depend on the availability of resources that can enhance teaching and assessment.

When I was a teacher around the year 2002, I began to turn away from the teacher-centered approach and applied a student-centered approach in teaching. The approach so called ā€˜student-centered approach in teaching was become popular and advocated around the education in the world as educationist research findings prove to be an effective approach than ā€˜teacher centered approachā€™ to improve studentsā€™ learning and academic performance. The student-centered approach in teaching complement with assessment for learning and assessment as learning. This is because the teaching and learning is centered at the students by maximizing their learning by giving much time to students in the lesson through active learning that involve students to be creative, work in groups to share their ideas with other peers and participation in the learning process.

Things have not really changed in the last two years. My teaching loads were very high and that made to having less time to plan and prepare assessable tasks. I normally give test and projects/assignment to students. Thereā€™s a big problem for me to conduct practical assessment during class time because of overcrowding in the classroom.

In 2019, when the covid19 was spreading, this caused a major closure of schools around the world and the teaching mode in the classroom through face-to-face was no longer the only option. The covid pandemic is an air-born disease and this could only be mitigated through anti-virus covid vaccines and social distancing. Around 2020 to 2022, education leaders around the globe tend to see the importance of online teaching and learning as an approach to teaching to maintain social distancing, while schools were closed. Therefore through this period of covid19, the challenge comes of how to ensure that studentsā€™ learning needs are best served while they are at home during the closure of schools. Distance learning or online learning is the only option but this is a challenge to consider because not every teacher has the capacity to deliver or teach online.

This past two years, my teaching approaches to assessment still remained the same and unchanged. This is due with the facts that using these assessment approaches in our teaching is very effective for teaching and learning to students. Therefore, I continue practicing these approaches in my assessment. Despite using these approaches, there are some challenges faced which is basically on the studentā€™s absentees during some assessments such as final examination, tests and quiz and also their lack of participation on daily activities for assessment for learning.

Yes every year I try to make some changes in the why approach assessments because every year we meet new set of learners who have different style and therefore changes should be carried out, and sticking to one style can make a teacher really predictable and boring. Some changes that I try to impose is, allowing students to self-reflect and analyze where they lack and how they can improve. This is classified under assessment for learning

I have changed my approaches to assessment by implement the types of assessment so I find out that most student learn by their own peer reflection and they actively involved in the class activity

In the school I taught at the assessment used was assessment for learning and assessment as learning as students need to full understand the outcome before moving to another course.

Over the past two years, in my experience, there were some changes as to how assessment was carried out, since the pandemic had impacted teaching and learning. The challenge however was doing this online as it is unfortunate that due to the geographical location of students, they were able to access the online activities and notes provided for by teachers.

I am sure your approach helps you to not be a boring teacher Shafiya. Do you think allowing students to self-reflect and analyse is only assessment for learning? What questions could you ask to encourage them to think about how they learn as well?

Getting students to participate can be very difficult. How do you think assessment for learning and assessment as learning can help to motivate students?

I was sure about the need for students learning, however with huge numbers of students to one teacher 50 to a teacher teaching 5 classes, I was not really effectively delivering continuous assessment, like I said it consumes alot of time and more yet to be covered within limited time, therefore not much was done due to situation on the ground. I wish managable number of students with good facilities we can really achieve good outcome.

In the last two years i have used the same types of assessments. Some challengers that i faced was that all teachers had to use the same assessment types . Nowadays there are different types of children in a class, therefore it is vital to use different assessment methods in the class. When dealing with different students makes a teacher realize how important each assessment type is.

Due to the pandemic I had been integrating the e-assessment into the entire learning process as part of the course design. Certain challenges had to be overcome in terms of connectivity issues as was the case for me in the past weeks. I had to change the set-up of my location to get better signals of internet.

No, it hasnā€™t change.
our challenge in here is that we are not able to check what our students are not able to understand when we donā€™t have a full-time effective teaching in the classroom.

we have this default mode of delivery, Distance Mode, we need to change to a Mode of delivery that is more interactive to students Learning.

Yes I have changed methods. The previous year was an extreme challenge and we had to resort to remote learning as well as digital learning. At times, assessments that would have generally taken one class or a week only, were conducted over a period that would be accessible to the class due to distance and connectivity. Thus, approaches had to be changed to meet the needs.

My assessment approach has changed for the better.
Now I have more formative assessments, where activities, forum discussions, sample projects and assignments are graded, thanks to online Learning Management systems in place.