AS4ODFL (PAC) Assessing to learn

As the student’s learning is more important, then assessment should support learning and should not be seen as the end goal of any learning process. The aim of any learning process must deviate from simple passing the test at the end of each course. Assessment for learning must always take place all throughout the learning process even before any Assessment of Learning is given to measure the attainment of student’s learning. It is between these two boundaries of assessments within the learning process that the Assessment as Learning can take place.

I disagree with the first statement. Learning is the byproduct or the outcome of our teaching and therefore I believe that Assessment is more important than Learning because it informs us about the way we teach and can be used to redirect our teaching to improve students learning.

The second statement is correct. Students need support and feedback to inspire learning. Without feedback, they would not know if what they are doing is correct. Receiving feedback and support helps to instill positive values, skills, attitudes and knowledge that will go a long way after their studies.

I guess teaching and learning have been (until recently #AS4ODFL), and every teacher/learner is bound to live with it - ‘worrying about testing’. What we are used to, is very hard to change! I guess #AS4ODFL is not trying to change what we are used to ‘worrying about testing’ but trying to introduce ‘start thinking about learning’ “You can use activity-based teaching that integrates individual study, self-assessment, peer collaboration and assessment FOR, OF and AS learning into one activity, or a series of activities. This kind of learning and assessment supports and guides students towards successful learning” as per #AS4ODFL.

1 Like

Of course learning is important but assessing students is also important so that we know where to improve in our teaching. Students do need support and feedback so that they know whether they are on the right track or not.

Yes, I do agree with your statements!
We need more ideas to improve our learning, thanks to this course!

1 Like

• Learning is more important than assessing.
• Students need support and feedback.

In my own opinion I DO NOT believe that one is more important than the other…its more like…with the first statement the two processes complements each other and the outcome links to the second statement.
When we teach, we all hoped for learning to takes place. But the question still remains as to what extend do students understand and what exactly do they know. Which item did they find it difficult to relate to and what are the stumble blocks that prohibits the learning process. All these cannot be identified unless there’s an assessment in place. Assessment provides feedback on students performance and how they progress in learning. It also identifies areas that students need to improve and develop further. However, the 2 statements for considerations DO complement each other. Malo

To me assessing is important because it helps the teacher know which ones are taking the lesson into their understanding and the students know where they stand in the lesson they are learning. Assessing helps the students learn and also helps them improve from their weakness. And yes students need support and feedback.

We are beginning to see that there is an important relationship between learning and assessment. There is more to assessment than just tests and exams. Assessment is learning, and learning is assessment.

1 Like

I am in consensus with your views as far as learning ans assessment is related. yes, both are important and I try to apply both simultaneously for better understanding and complete learning to take place. I know as soon as people come across the word “assessment”, they think of tests and exams but as you have mentioned this is not the case. Assessment can be in many forms such as discussion, quiz, instant questions and answers, etc. Furthermore, it is also vital to keep the students updated about their progress in the class and continue to scaffold them where necessary. for complete and holistic learning a teacher should make sure that the head, heart and hands are used which is from the 3 main domains.

Yes, I agree with the above statements. Learning is more important than assessing students. If the students don’t learn than there is no use of assessing them. Therefore we should educate students first. Students should also be provided with feedback and support as this is where they will see where they lack and than they can improve on that.

Yes, I agree with this statement. It is important to learn first and then do the assessment as students cannot just get assessed without learning any lessons. We should teach students first and then give them test to identify they have learnt anything from the lessons given to them. This can show the results on which level or grade they are on like grade A, B or C.

For me, learning and assessment complement each other. However, learning to means means acquiring new information and knowledge and I would find learning very interesting if whatever information that is being presented is new and beneficiary for me. So, to make learning interesting and enjoyable, I need to find out if what I am about to present to my students is new knowledge and how much of it would benefit who in the group. This is where assessment for learning comes in, then as the learning progresses, I need to check if all my learners are with me, assessment as learning, and at the end finally checking if learning really did happen, assessment of learning… Assessment determines effective learning.
Students need support and feedback is a true statement. Learning in an institution or classroom will not happen if there is no support and feedback. Getting to know your student individual learning levels is very important and getting to know their backgrounds and personalities, including their values, challenges and limitations is even more important. Teachers need to consider professionalism and develop a professional relationship with the students to provide the most appropriate timely support for each individual student. This again all comes from assessing or assessments through surveys trying to find out more about the status of the students so as to provide the most appropriate support. Providing feedback is very important when assessing as learning as I create a dialogue with them to verify if learning is actually happening. Providing positive feedback is very important here verbally. Feedback provided after assessment of learning is also important but must happen as soon as possible to help the student identify any important necessary changes in their mindsets as they move on to new topics, units, chapters and academic year levels.

1 Like

Yes, I do agree that support and feedback is equally important in face to face teaching and learning. Whilst saying this I must admit that I fail to do this many times because to large number of students in my class and pressure to complete the syllabus for exam finals as the major contributing factors in my context.

From my opinion I think the statement is correct. Learning is more important than assessing. looking at the statement learning comes first before assessment. Learning is the process and assessing is the product, a good learning approach will provide a better product or assessment.
I also agree with the statement students need support and feedback. Students need to be supported in their learning and also feedback must be given. Applying this in learning it engage student in their learning and also gives the learner self-confidence in their learning.

Tottaly agreed that Student need teachers supported during class in order to achieve the learning objectives before conducting assessments

Some engaging and thought-provoking comments in this forum. I can see that large classes present a challenge for us to think about how we can design and manage collaborative activity-based learning. But perhaps collaborative learning also presents us with some good opportunities to overcome and challenge of large classes?

I am also interested in this question: “What is a good balance between supporting students and allowing them to work out the problems, and learn from from their mistakes?”

1 Like

I think, assessments are done successfully when students understand what they have learnt. it is very important that teachers must always support to guide students to do their assessments well and provide feedback to help the students know whether what they have done is right or wrong.

Generally learning can fun is the students understand what you have taught them and these students prove to you that they understood what you have delivered to them. Therefore assessment is the proof that a student has understood something or has acquired a certain degree of knowladge.
All students need the support to grow and be the person they would like to be, as teachers its is important to obtain feedback from students and also for us to provide feed backs as well. Feedbacks can be seen in this context as a corrective measure.
All in all we need as to be better in whatever we do, may it be teaching or other profession!

that is correct to what i have learned and understand