AS4ODFL (PAC) Assessing to learn

Learning today as compared with the learning years back I guess has brought many conflicting views. If we provide support and feedback to learners, do we still add assessments? One article quote ‘It is, by contrast, hard to fully imagine the consequences of assessment done right’ And one unknown author once said, quote “I did not give birth to any of these students, and I am, therefore, not responsible for their ability or inability to learn anything,” by the way the author was known to teach university science students with only ‘support and feedback’ . .From the Chronicle of higher education

Learning is important but we need assessment to select students to meet the requirements of different profession they will join after school. We need to develop all students to meet the challenges of life but we need to select right students to join different fields where they can pursue their carrier.

@kataraketaati You bring a new angle of looking, an illustration of what we try to understand ‘Assessing to Learn’ with a number of related factors - ‘support and feedback’ to the reality of the ‘crisis in Ukraine’… Say I would assess the crises, how and what form of assessment would be appropriate to assess the crisis in Ukraine? Which comes first, ‘assessing to learn’ or the ‘outcome of learning’??? Tekeraoi ngkoe.

i do not agree on the first statement… learning and assessment have equal importance and works together, without assessments one cannot prove learning or other words if there’s learning there must be an assessment. On the second statement i agree with it student need support and feedback to through out their learning process.

Totally agree, that’s why TVET style assessments are so relevant for today. It has a holistic approach to the abilities of a student for problem solving.

I think that learning and assessment are equally important. One cannot exist without another. Assessment is a measure of learning. Learning is then constructed based on the outcomes of assessment. Assessment indicates if any learning at all has taken place.

I do not agree with the first statement as both learning and assessment are very important . If there is no learning, there is no assessment. If there is no assessment, then there will be no learning as well. However, students are assess according to the out of their learning. For the teachers report at the end of the learning, they have to provide report regarding their teaching. They will find out that student are learning something from them or not?, and this report will be carried out from learning assessment that the student has performed. In this case, i think student learning and assessment are both important in classroom.

Yes, I do agree with the statement. As teachers, he or she teaches students with the concept and at the end he or she will do an assessment through quiz, test and assignment. If there is a learning then there is an assessment.

Agree both are important. If there is a learning, there must be an assessment.

Learning and Assessment may both be important, however, in order to get a better result in assessment, students need to be provided with more support and feedback in their learning.

Learning and assessing seem inseparable. However, I do support the fact that ‘learning is more important than assessing’. The reasons are: 1) Learning is vital to humanity. If we disregard learning then we can’t understand the necessities of life and still can’t develop our abilities and confidence to tackle challenges including tests, questions, solving problems and the like. Conversely, the act of assessing is only executed to help and improve learning performance. 2) Learning matters consistently through time whereas assessing matter at particular time.

Certainly, students often need a support and feedback. Personally speaking, students, who have received a full support, are always feel valued, special and empowered to take risks in learning and other areas of life. In addition, providing a feedback can help individuals to reflect their strengths and weaknesses so that they will improve their learning performance by adopting new strategies effectively.

1 Like

Learning is very important when it comes to teaching but we cannot do away with Assessment. Assessment is really important to measure a students learning whether he/she has understood your teaching or not. On the other hand students always need the support teachers or anyone can give to support them in their learning. As a teacher, it is best after grading an assessment, we give students feedback to further improve students understanding.

well learning is of course important because this is the end product of a process. However, assessment should be an essential tool to reflect on the process to prove whether learning has taken place. As a key fundermental area in learning, Students activities/task needs to be assess and feedbacks from teacher to student is a must for both students and teachers to reflect on oneself performance.

Yes thats what parents think. I agree with you Learning is a process that involves Assessment.

1 Like

Of course learning is very important but I think it is equally important as assessment and feedback. I think that without feedback, teachers will not be able to measure how much the students understands throughout the learning process.

1 Like

I am in disapproval with the statement “If there is no learning, there is no assessment”. Learning happens despite of it being assessed or not. The degree to which learning happens varies among learners. Some learners may learn something outside of the expected outcome and not assessed but that does not mean that a learner does not learn something.

1 Like

“Learning is more important than assessing.”

A process cannot deny the existence of an element to complete its course. Learning is never complete without proper and correct assessment. Learning cannot be quantified and no intervention can be done without assessment.
Hence, learning and assessment are both of paramount importance.

“Students need support and feedback.”
Support ensures proper guidance and direction. It enhances the probability of success in achieving set outcomes and objectives. Feedback provides the needed data for monitoring and evaluation hence valuable to further enhance all the learning. This too will provide data for future references.

1 Like

Both of them are important. The depth of learning was proven by assessing learners whether they achieve the learning outcomes or not.

There is a lot of engagement on these issues. I can already see you are thinking more deeply about assessment, what the challenges are, and even some ideas for how to integrate assessment OF, FOR and AS learning.
Stop and think: What have you learned? Who have you learned it from? How have you learned it?
In the next section do the activity quiz to check your own learning. Take time to reflect on what you learn from the quiz and how you learn it.

There has been some lively debate on this topic so far.
If you haven’t already done it, go to the next activity and do the quiz about Assessment OF, FOR and AS learning. This is can serve as a formative assessment to check your understanding. If you find you disagree with some of our responses, go back and check the definitions again.
Then think about ‘What have I learned?’ and ‘How did I learn it?’
Then move on to the second learning challenge if you haven’t already.