AS4ODFL (PAC) Assessing to learn

Assessment enables the tutor to know if the students have actually learnt and this reflects in their performance in the activities they are involved in.

1 Like

Yes, I do agree with the two given statements. Learning is important and must be carried out prior to any form of assessment to be given. The students must acquire and understand the substance of the lesson or topic before they are assessed. Also in the learning process students must be guided and provided feedback on their performance so that it can help them to make improvements where they may be lacking in their abilities.

Learning is important than assessment but assessing students actually gives the feedback of their learning. Therefore I consider both of equal importance.

I do agree with these statements. First of all, Learning is more important than assessing. In the case that, without learning, there is no way of how to do assessments. Therefore, learning is the more important to be considered in our daily life either inside and outside the classroom. As a result of their learning, the assessment can be carried out in order to give the feedback of each students’ capability.

Learning is more important than assessment.???
Students need support and feedback.???
If learning is more important, how do we know how much the student have learnt? How and when do we know that the student needs support and feedback? All these will be known through assessment. Learning and assessment must go hand in hand.

Learning and assessment go hand in hand, yes. We cannot assess what has not been learned, and we learn through assessment of, for and as learning.

Yes I do agree to the above two points.

• Every student is different some are good with theory and some with practical and some are good in both. However this doesn’t mean that if one is good in one thing only they have failed to understand the whole subject as learning has occurred in both areas. But our pacific schools mostly use paper based assessments to test students and based on that result they judge students on how much they have learned. Moreover, learning the concept is more important that the result that’s been highlighted after an assessment.
  • Yes students need support as they are still in the learning phrase, and student is not a fast learner therefore they need time and support to learn a concept. Feedbacks are really important for assessments as this assessments have a grading system and feedbacks will ensure that they score good marks as they will know their mistakes and work on it.

As part of my teaching, I make use of teaching and assessment of learning. I have not been making good use of assessment as learning. It is what I have been doing for long, and looking at the definition of the three, honestly I can say, based on the definition, I have done little or none concerning assessment as learning.

In the last two years, I have changed from assessment of learning to assessment for learning because of the paradigm shift from face to face to Remote/Online learning. The Online facilitation has some features that must be adhered to. e.g. course materials, discussion forum, etc. that must be made available.

I strongly believe that students need support and feedback. However while I believe that learning is important, we measure the level of learning through assessment.

I am not agreed with the second statement about assessing. I know that students need to know either they are improving on they learning or not. And also the teacher needs to know adjust their teacher if the learners won’t achieve. So, learning is assessing. Assessing is learning, which mean they both work together.

I think learning is more important than assessing. When frequent assessment is given students recall the theory part only and when it comes to practical part they are lost. Secondly i agree with the last statement that students need support and feedbacks. Feedbacks brings improvements in students. when feedbacks are given students are able to realize their mistake.

The most effective feedback is focused, clear, and considers motivation and learning, not justifying a grade or on copyediting. As teachers we should think about alternatives to writing comments on every individual student’s work. Provide feedback to the whole class orally and/or in a shared written document, or have the class read sample student work together to look for common themes or apply evaluation criteria.

Of course Learning is more important than Assessment, as a teacher, my student must learn as much as possible and understand the content of the Course in which assessment fall afterwards.

So long as the student understand well he/she is ready to be assessed. the student will need the teacher’s support and feedback from their uncertainty.
Assessment comes later to assess how effective the student understood the course.

1 Like

i agree with you that learning and assessment is very important in part of teaching…

Facilitators should adopt Constructive feedback in our assessment. We need to be Prompt, specific. Thoughtful, related to learning outcomes, related to learners’ assignment-writing skill, related to the course material , focused on the most important improvements needed, write in plain language, be fair in our judgment, be honest in praise and criticism, be supportive and encouraging and refer to learners by name.
Learners are motivated to learn more and reflect on their competencies.

Totally agree with your point on the first statement. Assessment is the lens for understanding student’s learning, identifying invisible learning challenges and also helping us (teachers) to improve our teaching approaches.

I totally agree with the above statements. In Pacific Island Countries (PICs), teaching and learning took place centuries before the first European contact and western style of teaching and learning. Cultural forms of teaching and learning occurred as stated by the first statement “Learning is more important than assessing”. Take for instance, the father teaching his son how to make a canoe. The learner; son will make a lot of mistakes at their initial attempts. This will take much longer for the son to make a perfect canoe. However, with the timely and continual support and feedback from the father will greatly improve his son’s skills. He will effectively learn the skills to make a canoe.
The above two statements clearly state how teaching and learning took place in PIC villages and societies. Therefore, in order to achieve effective learning in PIC schools, more emphasis must be on learning other than assessing. Equally important, right and timely support and feedback must be rendered by the teacher (more knowledgeable person).

Absolutely, assessment is the just a measuring parameter to quantify learning. It should not be seen as an necessity to out play learning. Learning can only be effective if teachers render the right support and timely feedback to students.

Learning and assessment are both important. Assessing facilitates learning, is a form of learning and can also be used to gauge learning. Assessment also provides learners with feedback on the extent to which they have learned, are learning or/and should learn thereby giving support for learning to occur. There exists a very thin line between learning and assessment.