Micro-courses increase the flexibility of the OERu model in a number of ways. For example:
- Learners can pace their learning according to their own needs and associated family and work obligations. There is no need to complete the full set of micro-courses associated with full-course credit in a single sitting.
- Self-interest learners can select micro-courses according to the topics of interest without the need to engage in a full-course.
- Cohort based offerings can be offered in compact blocks of time making it easier for learners engaged in full-time employment to set aside time to participate in OERu courses.
- The micro-course size facilitates credit transfer across international boundaries.
- The micro-format facilitates the integration of OERu course materials as a sub-component of full-time university courses.
- Micro-courses facilitate remix and reuse by creating more flexible curriculum options to mix and match courses in different contexts.
- OERu partners can stagger the course development schedule enabling the OERu to bring courses quicker to market.