LIDA104 - Why is media literacy important to you?

Media literacy is critical because of the ever-increasing amount of digital media we are being subjected to on a daily basis. It is so vital that we have an understanding of this ‘beast’ so we can make best use of it within both our personal lives and also as educators.

2 Likes

Agreed, and today the distinction between personal and professional use of social media adds a layer of complexity. Hope you enjoy the course!

1 Like

Absolutely - the lines are so blurred. I think this makes it even more important to genuinely understand how to engage with media appropriately for different uses. Thanks for your response!

1 Like

Having media literacy skills is becoming more and more important everyday, to the point that it feels like they are a compulsory set of skills to survive in this world. I want my children to be able to critically evaluate, research and make decisions on the media they consume and do so with confidence and discernment. By ensuring they have this if feels like we are giving them protection and the ability to navigate an increasingly uncertain, confusing, and chaotic environment, both online and off.

Media literacy is very important to keep the world open and equitable. Being able to decipher fact from marketing is very blurry nowadays.

I like your term ‘beast’ here as you don’t really know what we are dealing with anymore…is it a three-headed beast?

In this digital world, media literacy is important. It will help us access, analyse and critically read the media. Also, it help students to explore new ideas, thoughts, opinion and concepts through media as they spend time engaging with different media.

As a student, Media Literacy is important to me because it helps me to analyze, create, and access the media and interpret the message also analyze what type of information are reliable and not reliable when doing research for assessments.
#LiDA104

Media literacy is important because it helps people understand the messages that are being communicated to them** . With so many sources of information today, media literacy can help people identify reliable sources and filter through the noise to get at the truth.