CS4ODFL (PAC) - Module 4 Forum

It’s always better to know our students well before pin-pointing.
There are so many issues like social, family, personal and financial. Children are just vulnerable
and we can’t blame them if there are so many family issues happening everyday.

2 Likes

i agree with your point of view but sir by providing the gadget all the time will not assist. That same student can assist his friend who are behind with the work and share his ideas,
This will not only assist will the quality pass rate but will also assist your students to complete their work on time.
I also have students who complete their work very fast and tend to be very noisy. I use the same set of students to assist their friends. I have subject mentors in my class who guide other students. This will also create unity in the class.

2 Likes

Hi
A positive teaching experience that involved students was when taking an online zoom session for the first time. A great experience and the students found the concept of learning online new and exciting. Using zoom for lesson delivery was a great solution where I could safely educate my students during this difficult times.

2 Likes

Hi
In today’s educational system the most challenging aspect is motivating students to desire learning. The second most challenging aspect is discipline management. A fair rule and management is a must for all students.

1 Like

Hi
:disappointed_relieved: Indeed, COVID has certainly shown many the right direction.

1 Like

All educators confront challenges either positive or negative instructing involvement. The positive challenge that I encountered was students completing their notes and activities in advance of other students. During this time I asked them to assist those who were left behind from this I noted the students left behind had catch-up really well.
The negative challenge that I encountered was some students were late on a daily basis. As teachers we have to be positive, patient, discuss with students as to why they coming late, provide recommendation how can they manage on the attendance and punctuality.
This was memorable experience because it truly tried our tolerance and our confidence as understudies in this present day and innovation days are so progressed.
Some of the proactive measures that I would employ to prevent and manage conflicts amongst your course participants on chat rooms or discussion boards includes:

1. Establish guidelines on ground rules e.g. netiquette
  2. Play pre-recorded on about my introduction and brief on my teaching experience including office hours, the faculty roles and responsibilities.
  3. The expectations of the course and the schedule for learning activities, communication pathways, assessments (quizzes, discussion), and feedback.
  4. Online learning session, where learning environment will be created. Teacher-Student, Student-Teacher, Student-Student introduction, interaction and engagement in online forums, live chats and interactive discussions will be encouraged to make the learning process fruitful at the same students to achieve their career goals.

In terms of conflict administration, things to be beyond any doubt are as follows:
Checking my recognition and translation of the irritating post/comment or chat asking for clarification from the creator approximately what was stated/written and the purposeful of the message. This guarantees that I have not confused the message. In the event that it could be a positive struggle circumstance and depending on the nature of the message and the setting, I can either ask that the post be expelled or rephrased in keeping with the Netiquette rules. I might welcome the understudy to a one-on-one session with me on my Office to decide on the off chance that there are basic issues that have driven to the conflict. There could be an option for arbitration should a need arise, if the students feels I am biased on some of my decisions. I would have no misgivings with doing so in case understudy requested.

3 Likes

I really agreed with the comments. we are the mentors for our students. We would like to mould them to become a successful in their personal and professional life’s, therefore contributing positively to the economic growth of the nation.

2 Likes

I truly concurred with the comments. we are the tutors for our understudies. We would like to form them to become a success in their individual and proficient live’s, in this manner contributing emphatically to the financial development of the nation.

2 Likes

There was this particular continuing student who did not enroll himself for a semester. But due to pandemic, students were allowed to enroll till week 4 of a semester and an online enrollment platform did not close. Hence I took out my class list somewhere mid of week 3 and i continued teaching. This students he did not even bothered to enroll himself on moodle neither he contacted me or joined our course viber chat. It was not in my attention that there is this students who is suppose to attend online classes via zoom or moodle platform until week 8( that is after after mid semester break) when I checked the class list again and I found him unrolled in this particular unit, and then I took out his number from student software and gave a call to him. And his response was very weird as he said , that he enrolled but he does not have access to internet to study. It was very discouraging but from students point of view, they are allowed to do submission till end of the year, which means the submission platform will be open for long. From that incident, I tried to have more of synchronous online discussion and making sure that I always check on class list every week and I make sure no students are left behind. Also every session of my lecture, I try to give them motivation and energetic ideas to consult me if they have any difficulties. I also tried to have group video calls sometimes to have an update on few asynchronous discussions I posted on Moodle. Sharing ideas and making them comfortable with other technologies and platform has made me get in touch with all members successfully.

3 Likes

Hi Pooja

Yes, I agree on this. Some or to number a few students in todays generation are almost least bothered about education. We need to motivate them from high school, I guess.

1 Like

Hello James,

Absolutely something to think about. It all starts from childhood. The importance of education and future depends on how a child is being brought up. They need guidance from childhood and if they are well cultured and education is given priority, they could be victorious at the end.

1 Like

I totally agree with you. I remember there was a student in my school who was going through a lot because of some problems at his home. He was giving hard time to all subject teachers and the matter became so intense that the child decided to stay home. Finally, the child was referred to me. I tried to go the root cause of the problem before making any decision. The parents were consulted and tried my level best to spent some time with him on daily basis. The child changed his approach towards teachers and improved academically as well. He is now working and looking after his mother. Thus, I strongly believe that a negative comment can really affect students psychologically.

2 Likes

Most learning experiences with me and my students are usually memorable for me.I usually have a reflection after each lesson on positive and even negative experiences for the next step to take.Managjng of conflicts is part of a successful teaching experience which I am expected to do diligently to enable active participation of my learners.

3 Likes

As a teacher we always come across certain problems that deals with the children or work and it will either spoil your day or make it a memorable one.
When doing discussion whether it is face-to-face or online we as facilitators needs to be open minded and to be a good listener making sure that everyone is taking part in the discussion proactively.

2 Likes

Well explained madam.

1 Like

Yes madam… we need to know the background of our students before we make judgements regarding sensitive issues eg. financial, family etc

1 Like

There is no case happened between me and a student involving teaching online via technology. We often use blend mode since the internet on the outer island where the school situated is not very good. Sometimes students ask me using messenger on Facebook few questions. Since the country is affected by the virus epidemic this year, I hope that online discussion on chat rooms may be considered priority. Because I coped with no positive and negative experience, I will learn as much experiences cope by colleagues taking this course and will learn what are their proactive measures employed to solve the problems.

2 Likes

In my 4 years of teaching experience i have both positive and negative experiences. The most memorable experience i had was that i was able to make the non readers read fluently in few months. That was a big achievement for me as a teacher. Apart from this i also had some bad experiences in my teachers. I was was given a form to teach. In this form all I- Taukei girls were there. There was one girl in the class who used to criticize and pass comments to me in I- Taukei language. She thought that i do not understand her language but unfortunately i understood the language. It was really disheartening to see that how students discriminate teachers because of their race.
At the beginning of the course we should inform the students about the netiquette of the course. As this course netiquette will avoid conflicts.

5 Likes

In any field of work, we all have some positive and negative experience’s, and likewise for teaching. Conflicts may arise amongst a teacher and a student or even amongst student themselves but what is important is how the issue was resolved , in my case the teacher noticed the situation was getting rough so she took over and controlled the situation. So from my understanding i believe in any online training environment the course convener should try to always be present and see the ongoing discussion and take over when needed. I think it has been mentioned before and i also believe that setting ground rules and explaining the course netiquette will be some great proactive measures to be taken to ensure such conflicts are managed.

3 Likes

Hi
True, sometimes students put into play the taking advantage that their language is not understood by the other party. On the other hand, teachers can feel downhearted by this childish behaviour. I think what teachers are concerning about is the behaviour of student that must be corrected. One of the mentioned proactive measures that must be employed is to teach them about the netiquette but along with that they should be guided on how to select proper words to use in and outside the classroom. By this, they can learn how to use accepted language and also to behave properly.

2 Likes