CS4ODFL (PAC) - Module 4 Forum

Discuss the following questions. Post your responses and then review your colleagues’ posts and respond to at least two of your peers. Try to respond to someone who has not been responded to yet.

Think of a time when you had a positive/negative teaching experience that involved you and a student. Why was it a memorable experience? What are some of the proactive measures that you could employ to prevent and manage conflicts amongst your course participants on chat rooms or discussion boards?

4 Likes

Classroom incivility is any action that interferes with a harmonious and cooperative learning atmosphere in the classroom. Classroom conflict is inevitable, and at times even necessary for effective learning to take place.

1 Like

On this certain day, I concentrated on asking students that are mostly doing well to answer questions and did not ask students that were not doing so well in Mathematics to go up to the board to answer Similar questions from the past year questions that I have discussed to write their answers on the board. An average student then asked if she could answer a question I was sceptical but let her answer anyways. Yet, she presented her answer in a step by step manner which took me by suprise. I made a mistake of ‘not getting to know my students’
What I should have done was to always give the benefit of the doubt to each students that they are capable of proving themselves worthy to learn no matter what the circumstances are so they believe in changes within them as others would while watching them as well

3 Likes

In all my teaching experiences, I encountered many experiences both negative and positive.
The positive experience gained was to reach my students as much as I can. I can realized that the most important matter was to find common taste with my students. Besides, if they want to enjoy the classroom with them, they will help you do your lesson in a peaceful environment.
The negative experiences; the lack of discipline issues that I need to deal with.
However, some of the proactive measures that I do apply is to encourage students to listen to each other and share their issues and then check that they understand them.

3 Likes

Hi
Really feel how we teachers are able to manage the positive and negative environment in the classroom. I have been dealing with such cases and able to the young minds.

2 Likes

Hi
Totally agree we as teachers need to understand our children and attend to their needs.we can also prepare student centered learning materials.

1 Like

Bula
All teachers face challenges either positive or negative. I faced positive challenges where students were able to complete a set of notes ahead of other students. So in this situation I had keep them busy with a set of topic questions. On the other hand a common negative student issues I face is when student do not attempt home work and complain about book being forgotten at home. So there we need to be positive and give them another chance to complete their work.

2 Likes

Conflict as posited in “Conflict Theory” is ubiquitous and except as you talked about civility and maturity, very little things could ignite conflict and even lead to crisis if not nip in the bud. This is mostly applicable to face to face teaching and learning. It is less with digital platform where most activities including knowledge test are carried out without human biases. Recently in one of the Universities, a student beat up his project supervisor to pulp for the alleged offence of non cooperation. That is a typical example incivility but completely not applicable in Open Distance and Flexible Learning.

2 Likes

Learning and teaching help us to refine ourselves with negative and /positive experiences. Criticism makes us do better, however human nature puts us in conflicting situation with our critiques. I had a negative experience during one of my student presentation where I had to give a feedback to the students presentation. However the student did not accept the feedback as and felt a blow to the self esteem. After listening to the students explanation, I understood the situation and apologized to, which helped the student to perform better in other assessments
Some proactive measures could be:-
important to analyze students thoughts - before commenting
solve conflicts generally without naming specific students
have one to one discussions on concerned issues

3 Likes

As a teacher you will always encounter positive and negative challenges everyday. As 2424 said, I felt positive whenever each students take the initiative to work ahead of others and finish the daily task. But most students like to miss classes and that my negative challenges. Therefore, this challenged me to take proactive measures in looking for these students prior to my class and to use new methods with them that will encourage them to complete their work. It takes patience and commitment.

2 Likes

Beautiful insights indeed…

Yes teaching can be quiet challenging if teachers are not equipped with technology resources.

1 Like

:thinking:I had some teething problems when I first used Google Meet, I was talking and the sound was not there so one of my student notified via messenger…it was a bit embarrassing…however I had already told the students that as a teacher and as a student, we were all new to the technology so we will make mistakes…also at times I had the video showing on my laptop but not shown to the students so one of my student would notify me via messenger which I tackled tactfully saying I am still learning. First before we begin online class, we have to set some rules so that both the students and teacher show respect to each other during sessions. There should be time set aside for asking questions. Teacher should not be interrupted during general teaching session. If mistakes or errors are made while answering questions, it should be clarified. We are all human and this type of learning is new to all of us. The understanding should be clear from both teacher and learner perspective :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

During face to face classes, at times we are challenged with similar answers in economics especially. Also discipline issues, attendance issues, incompletion of work at times becomes a problem. A teacher and learner should always respect each other. A teacher should always help students in class since home environment may not be conducive to learning. :thinking:

3 Likes

As teachers, we should be aware that all students don’t have a conducive environment to study and also absenteeism may be genuine due to finance and family issues for example parents are at work and elder siblings babysit younger ones, no light/power, no water. These are challenging for us as teachers.

1 Like

Yes most teachers here in Fiji have lack of technology and internet; also not everyone has administrators to carry out professional development in using technology for online classes…however the pandemic has made most of us knowledgeable

2 Likes

Yes indeed…beautiful insights

2 Likes

Hi
Totally agree we as teachers need to understand and support our students with learning materials. As a teacher we have to manage positive and negative environment in the class.

3 Likes

Teachers daily face negative and positive teaching experience in the classroom and after hours too. As an administrator, I noticed that a student in year 7 used to completed his work and the disturb other children and create disciplinary issues in the classroom. So I discussed with the child and he told me he is bored once he have completed his work. He don’t like reading story books but he likes gadgets. So I placed one desktop in this room and as soon as this boy completes his work he would do the typing of materials for the class and other teachers too. Many students also wanted to get involve to computer literacy so I made a rule whoever complete their work can move to school computer room and utilize the computer during their free time.

4 Likes

Hi
Through teaching and learning we gain lot of life experience and we as teachers are able to get to students level.
In my teaching Field I have made plenty changes to meet daily classroom challenges.
In order to develop a child holistically we need to change our traditional way of teaching and incorporate latest technology in our school work.

1 Like