AS4ODFL (PAC) Changes to assessment approach

1.Each assessment has its own important purpose depending on when and where is used in the teaching and learning process. I think the main purpose for these forms of assessment is to evaluate and reflect on ones teaching and learning progress of the learners. And yes it effective when used.
2. I agree to the point that states how assessment helps learners think deeply and critically.
3. And I believe that integrating different kinds of assessment will have an impact on our educational system focus towards teaching and learning.

2 Likes

Our national curriculum is under on going review . We are moving from objectve- based to outcome -based.

New types of assessment and tools of assessment are a challenge for many teachers here in Vanuatu. One of the most challenging is the online assessment type.

There is a need to updgrade teachers knowledge on how to use these new ways of assessing our teaching especially during this pandemic era.

3 Likes

Activity-based teaching-learning should produce the best result where the 3 assessments require. We teach better and learn better by ‘doing’ than ‘watch’, ‘listen’ or ‘visualise’. “Activity-based learning is the baseline for creative and critical thinking skills enhancement. However, this method will not function properly if students are not motivated enough to achieve their actual potential” article from the journal of education and Educational development - https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1216784.pdf

2 Likes

Try to read other participants’ posts, and keep an eye on comments/posts from @sheiladrew and @mackiwg. Tekeraoi riki

1 Like

As “Assessment for Learning and Assessment as Learning,” I combine the first two. This is to help pupils study more effectively.
In terms of these two assessments, assessment for learning occurs when I use evidence regarding a student’s knowledge, abilities, and understanding to inform my teaching.
When it comes to preparing and giving an Assessment, I haven’t changed anything yet. Because of the facility, and because it is wholly dependent on the students’ learning environment, which has been greatly disrupted by the pandemic, learning will not flow smoothly.

1 Like

Yes, since the pandemic, I have to revise teaching strategies as well as Assessment to cater for the students needs and development. I have to come up with Assessments that keep my students engage such as peer teaching and hands on activities with a bit more visual aid for better understanding.

1 Like

Yes,I have ended at 9am today,on the 2days in-school workshop on sharing skills,knowledge and technology application as time saving and effective teaching mode.
I believe it will impart instructions clearly to the students as of next week and onwards.

1 Like

As time pass, we tend to feel that teaching and delivering our learning materials are so common that we tend to deliver them with very little consideration of assessment type. We give out notes and expect students to read and understand. Issue out assigned tasks with a due date. At the end of the time, we collect their assignment, expecting them to have learned from their readings! The result thereof is close to heartbroken!

1 Like

Yes, Assessments for us have been slowly changing due to the Pandemic. Everything requires submission online thus students face a lot of challenges in different ways. For me as a teacher, I need to create assessments that suits the environment that each one lives in and that is a challenge. I do away with ‘test’ instead make online quiz. Instead of having an exam we do Assignments that covers all the sections in an exam paper. These are few changes in assessments due to the Pandemic.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip… Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you for the interesting article. You raise a very important point about students’ motivation.

2 Likes

There are many comments about the need to change how we assess. I hope we can support and encourage each other to do that. How can we make assessment OF learning more engaging and motivating for students? How can assessment FOR learning help us to motivate students more? What do students gain from assessment AS learning? These three little words can make such a difference if we understand them well. Do you need to go back and read the definitions again?

2 Likes

The past 2 years had provided huge challenges to shift from the traditional teacher centre teaching and learning to remote teaching and learning. Teacher is no longer seen as the source of knowledge/learning but an assistance to learning. In Solomon Islands, we try to use virtual teaching through our National Radio Broadcaster Station, SIBC, but it does not really achieve the purpose and aims. There are no online platforms like MOODLE available for teachers and students to use. Therefore, teaching still continue as it had been for the previous years before 2020. Assessment approaches still remain the same.

3 Likes

Absolutely my case. However, changing of assessment instruments is what helps but not as expected. They did not really reflect the expectation of the level student learning should be. Most perform well below average.

3 Likes

As I am not a teacher, what we are encouraging teachers to use is Formative Assessment everyday and Summative after each topic.

1 Like

When I started as a Kindergarten Teacher way back in 2013 what I normally did was have a Checklist that showed what Children have achieved eg the child is able to write and then just put a tick beside it meaning he has achieved it. As years went by I felt that I was not satisfied with just the ticking part but there were more to that where I need to narrow down to a childs Holistic Development. I have done that I am still learning and there are many more news things to learn Believe in this forum which would help in my area of Teaching.
Vinaka

4 Likes

In past years i prefer assessment of learning. It tell me which areas needed by student to improve but as years goes by, it tells me that i should use assessment for learning to know how to respond or to provide what is wanted and needed by students. Now i change assessment of learning to assessment for learning.

1 Like

In the last two years I have change a little in my approach to assessments but not entirely. I must admit that knowledge on the assessment skill is fine, but the situation and environment I am presented with brings challenges to the approaches. The challenges ranges from overcrowded classrooms to shortages and lack of instructional resources for students for a rural school.

2 Likes
  1. I think the purpose of summative assessment is to check students understanding of skills and concepts from a topic where as the purpose of formative assessment is to check students misunderstandings as learning progress so that teaching can be adjust for effective learning. this may not affect too much when it is used, as long as you get to assess students learning and providing comments.
  2. I totally agree to that.
  3. Mostly i think feedback is one way - supports students. this is a new and useful idea that i realized
  4. yes certainly. i take this into account of my teaching.
1 Like

With the approaches using ‘Assessment for learning’ i would say i do not changed. Because this assessment is used during the time of teaching and learning that i could adjust my teaching technique at any time if i see students does not get what i am trying to teach.

1 Like