Use of technology in education

You should spend 20 – 30 minutes on this activity.

1. Of the various ways in which technology is used mentioned by Bates, which one is closest to the model you use in your context?
  2. Name two advantages of using that model to the teacher and two advantages to the student.
  3. Post your answer in the discussion forum.
  4. Also, read the responses by your peers to gain insights on how technology is used in other contexts.
1 Like
  1. Online learning is the technological model of learning in Kiribati that is close to what Bates have mentioned. Online learning was used at the school level during the closure of schools due to covid19 pandemic.

2. Advantages of online learning to teachers and students

i. Teachers
It is flexible to use by teachers. For example, the teachers will not confined themselves to teach through face-face online but they can also video record their lessons and upload online. The teachers have rich teaching resources to explore and use from OER, thus improving effectively their teaching.

ii. Students
Students learn online at their own time and pace. It helps students to become independent learners because learners have less contact time with the teachers using online learning.

2 Likes

Tony Bates, discusses several ways in which technology can enhance the quality of teaching, including enabling more flexible and personalized learning experiences, providing access to a wider range of resources, and facilitating collaboration and communication between learners and instructors with the help of AI.

1. We are using technology-enabled learning using the blended method (incorporating face-to-face sessions.
  2. Both the teacher and the learner improve their technical ability as they manoeuvre through their platforms and gadgets.
    Distance and time barriers are overcome and learning can be as flexible as can be for both.

In my institute, we use different models such as online, blended, and f2f. I personally think that the blended model is the best option for my field of expertise. Because in my field, we can not remove the practical and f2f activities completely. However, we can adjust our activities using some online and virtual tools but it is not possible to completely remove f2f activities.

1 Like

Of the various ways in which technology is used, the one which is closest to the model we use in our context is ODL.

Two advantages of ODL to Teachers are;

• It saves time
  • Allows for more effective communication with the students

Two advantages of ODL to Students are;

• It allows for flexible learning
  • It broadens networking opportunities

That is great, but what are the advantages of the blended model to both teachers and students?

My college adopted the blended learning model, also known as hybrid learning, mixed-mode learning, or sometimes, termed “flipped classroom.” It is an approach which involves students watching video lectures or completing online learning activities before coming to class to engage in collaborative or hands-on activities. The method combines traditional face-to-face classroom instruction with online learning activities.

Two advantages of the blended learning method for teachers include:

1. Flexibility: Blended learning allows teachers to create a more flexible schedule for themselves and their students, as online learning activities can be completed on a student’s own time.

2. Enhanced engagement: By incorporating multimedia resources and interactive online activities into their lessons, teachers can increase student engagement and make learning more dynamic and exciting.

Advantages for students:

1. Personalized learning: Blended learning allows students to learn at their own pace.

2. Access to a wider range of resources: students can access online resources from home.

2 Likes

It will be interesting to know how Bates technology enhanced approaches could be adapted to your particular context.

Technology enhances learning in my context.

Some advantages of ODL to teachers are:

• allows effective time management
  • provides opportunities for effective digital collaboration

Some advantages of ODL to students are:

• offers distance and flexible learning
  • allows opportunities for synchronous and asynchronous learning
1 Like

blended learning approached that combined face to face and online teaching method
this teaching method beneficial to both teachers and students. This allow students to learn at their own paces which allow them to study whenever they free and cannot get behind or missed anything that had been delivered, it also makes much easier to students to access and learn from where they located.
In this type of learning teachers were able to measure the capability of each student and assess their knowledge and provide more effective ways or things they need to achieved what is required in a particular study

1 Like

Q1
i. Stone age
ii.Printing age
iii. Radio and telvison age
iv. Computer age
v. Information age
Q2. Advantages to the teacher;
i. Computer technology bridges the gap between outside envornment and inside the class room
ii. its makes a computation of results very easy
Q2. Advantages to the students;
i. its personalize learning
ii. its makes learning more productive

Blended mode of learning. Technology and face to face learning takes place simultaneously. There are various advantage of this mode of learning. The students can do their work at their own pace and if they have some questions or queries they can ask the teacher when they come for face to face class. The teachers knowledge in technology will grow and the teacher can communicate with the students at any time through technology if something important arises rather than waiting for them to come to school for class.

Blended Learning it is to me (in my context)
Advantages to teacher…

• Allows greater flexibility
  • Allows for gradual exit from face to face (traditional learning)

To the student

• Gives opportunity for a best of both worlds (Leaves no one behind)
  • Better serves the marginalized.

In all the ways in which technology is deployed for learning, the best for me is OPEN AND DISTANCE LEARNING (ODL)

Advantages

1. It allows for flexibility of time
  2. It uses both synchronous and asynchronous meas of communication
  3. It allows wider participation
  4. Its affordable and suitable for all
  5. It gives both older and younger generation the opportunity to acquire formal education.

Disadvantages.

1. In developing countries where some of the ICT infrastructures are not readily available, it denies people opportunity to school

2. Most of the ICT infrastructures are expensive to acquire and maintain

I strongly agree to your submission of using ODL. It greatly allows for flexibility of time and gives learners the liberty to study at their pace and space.

1 Like

My institution used blended learning. This allow for flexibility on the part of the teachers, instructional materials were developed and made available for learners. Teaching was also continuous as learners could give feedback and ask questions. For the students lectures don’t end in the classroom. They get support and learning materials which can be access anytime.

It is pleasing to note that you are using blended learning in your institution. It would be great if you can share with us how you monitor learning that happens off-campus. Also, do you have any idea of what proportion of learning time is done independently compared to what happens during classes?

How do you keep track of what students do in ODL, especially for purposes of identifying those that need support?

Good answer, Charles. How do you ensure parity in terms of quality of provision between ODL and face to face.