T4L - Allowing Time for Processing - My Tip

When I used to ‘tread the boards’, I used to break my teaching sessions into ‘manageable chunks’ and summarised / reviewed after each ‘chunk’. The last 10 minutes was therefore used to ‘review the reviews’, thereby effectively double-reviewing key points. However, whilst I used to lead the ‘chunk reviews’, I used Q & A to review the reviews at the end of the Session. The Q & A method I used was what I called, ‘Pose, Pause, Pounce*’, a method that has lost some of its popularity over the years as society edges away from perceived ‘confrontational questioning’. It encourages every student / learner to pay attention as it might be them that is asked a question!

*Pose, Pause, Pounce – ‘Pose’ an open question to the whole group, ‘Pause’ to allow some thought to take place, ‘Pounce’ by nominating an individual to answer the question. This technique probably sounds much worse than it is in practice. The key is to establish a good rapport with the group and create a learning environment where everyone feels ‘safe to fail’ or ‘fail-safe’. It has the advantage of allowing the teacher / facilitator to encourage the quieter learners to participate, whilst allowing the quicker minds to shine on occasion.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your strategies @GrahamP :slightly_smiling_face: I remember the ‘pose, pause, pounce’ method being used when I was at school. As a shy learner I used to dread this, but I agree that it can work well when you have a positive, encouraging, and empowering relationship with your learners.

I really like your idea of reviewing each ‘chunk’ of a session, and then reviewing the reviews. Could also use that technique in meetings, I think, and it might make them more efficient and effective :slight_smile: