LS4ODFL (PAC) - Module 2 Forum

Discuss the following question. Post your responses and then review your colleagues’ posts and respond to at least two of your peers. Try to respond to someone who has not been responded to yet.

Share your experiences as a learner and the types of learner support you received to assist in your learning in comparison to you as a teacher and the type of support you are providing to your students.

2 Likes

During my learning stage mostly it was teacher centered teaching and learning. There was limited resource and we got information from library, encyclopedia, textbooks and past exam papers.

As a teacher, my classes have a blended approach with use of technology and devices, internet, textbooks (hardcopy and eBooks), softcopy notes in Moodle, hardcopy notes (during power shutdown and when server is not accessible), exam papers (soft and hardcopies)

4 Likes

During my student’s (learning) days, teaching was mostly done on chalk and board method. Despite it being teacher oriented, teachers during those times go out their way with limited resources they have and ensuring that we achieve the outcomes. It was exam oriented and we were taught to pass as failing would mean repeating the course in any year level.

Now, a lot has changed especially with the introduction of technologies and learning gadgets. Learners are able to have access to notes which they might have missed. Worksheets being distributed (hard copies / soft copies) and learners being able to do it from the comforts of their homes. Enhancement of learning through the use of medias and technologies.

3 Likes

Same here. I had the same experience when I was a student.
Nowadays, with the new technology student have access to many resources on internet and online learning.

2 Likes

When I was a student, all the classes were f2f and the internet was not popular those days. My first experience as a student in an online class is the PGCTT that I am currently doing at USP. It is really a great experience. Apart from the teaching techniques, methods, and information that I am learning in PGCTT, I am learning how to deal with remote, online, and blended teaching methods. All in all, it is a great opportunity to update my teaching skills.

1 Like

The Internet changed everything in our life and education was no exception. I guess we mostly come from a generation that used hard copies and we may be the last generation that dealt with real books.

1 Like

I believe that our job as a teacher is more difficult than the next generation of teachers. Because almost all of us didn’t experience online teaching and technology as a learner while we need to use it now as a teacher.

2 Likes

Very true. The need to upgrade is there in order to match the learning needs of our students. Otherwise… I can only imagine.

1 Like

This platform is very interesting in going through the learning materials. I came up to realize the many solutions for some of the difficulties that faced in my classroom.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the Co-ordinator of this course.

1 Like

As a learner in this course, the kind of support I am receiving is enormous. The team of facilitators are using all forms of learner support services to make the course interesting and effect learning. The Pre-Course survey, the Feedback, videos, charts, questions, tutorials, assessments, etc are all forms of the supports I am receiving.
Hummm… as a teacher, I am giving support to my online , and even onsite learners. However, the level of support is high in online , maybe because there are a lot of OERs, and digital tools.
I am been challenged through this course to do more!

1 Like

Yes. The facilitators are doing what they expect of us. What model/theory of teaching is this?

1 Like

Exactly. We need the intellectual capability, material resources, support and encouragement from our employers to be able to do this effectively. We need to be digital transformation leaders.

1 Like

When I was a students, the learner support I received mostly using by a teacher and a blackboard. Teacher usually used centered teaching and learning to gain knowledge to learners so that they can achieve something at the end of the class. And mostly given learners the opportunity or taught to do an exam for the next level.

As a teacher, it is my duty to gain knowledge to the learners as well for them to achieve or to passed their examination for the passing grade and really to support them by using centered teaching and learning.

1 Like

Many exciting comments are coming through (@geeta.krishna @Mataiasi @samialisamaltaus @farid.mn @liga1992 @funkeoyekan @lafueeberaim ), and the common thread running through the conversations alludes to the need for more continuous professional development opportunities for teachers.

I would like to introduce the Wisdom Community of Pasifika Teachers (WCPT), a virtual community of practice platform for teachers to connect and learn from each other. The WCPT also facilities regular-free of charge-workshops for the WCPT members. Please visit the WCPT website and become a member today! WCPT website: https://www.pasifikateachers.org/

You may also be interested in the WCPT’s upcoming workshop scheduled for 17 Nov - see the following page for more info: https://www.pasifikateachers.org/events/generate-master-marksheet-and-report-sheets-using-ms-excel/.

1 Like

Indeed, and as a teacher, you need to be prepared well before delievering. The supports of what the teacher had been given or prepared can manage learner to learn what the learning outcome and what lesson does the teacher had planned for the learner to evaluate or to understand the topic.
And as a learner, you will understand further at the end from what the teacher had been prepared for if using online internet or other resourses.

1 Like

WCPT would be a desirable platform for a developing/growing teacher that I am. Thank you, DeepakPrasad. I will explore the opportunity.

1 Like

During my student days( i wouldn’t say while being a learner as i still am a learner as being an educator our goal is to create lifelong learners), i mostly got all the information from textbooks provided in schools. The libraries did not always have the relevant books. I had some help from internet but that too was limited as i did not know which sites were genuine and could be trusted. It was ok for English and Mathematics but little confusing in terms of the science articles. I wouldn’t say i learnt anything from past year papers as it was a means to cram and answer similar questions.
Since i started teaching, i have used videos, posted and shared links of articles with my students, given softcopy notes(to save time from dictating notes and instead letting students participate through presentations,group work). As a teacher, i have more resources to use and social sites to connect and understand my students better.

1 Like

Agreed. We are fortunate that we have access to technology and all the various resources that wasnt presented or incorporated during our time.

1 Like

During my school days the teachers usually us the teachers centered teaching and learning. during that time the school does not have internet so there’s not much resources for us to use. the only source we get our information from is our library. a lot of time was wasted just to find a small piece of information needed.

This year, we are fortunate to internet and devices for the students as well as teachers to use. I tried my best to teach the students how to obtain useful information from the internet, and let them use for their learning.

1 Like