LIDA102 Topical Issues - Rights & responsibilities for learning in a digital age

Drawing on your knowledge and experience, please join this discussion on topical issues regarding rights and responsibilities for learning in a digital age at the tertiary level. You can discuss the topical issues listed below, or add to new ones to the forum. Choose any one for comment and In each case justify your position taking opposing views into account.

Topical issues

1. Assuming higher education institutions can save money through the use open textbooks and OER in online teaching, learners have the right to demand that these savings should be passed on?
  2. Higher education institutions have the right to determine what software applications learners should use for their studies
  3. Data generated by learners belongs to the learners therefore they should have the right to access their data, for example forum discussions, even after the course has completed.
  4. Higher education institutions should reserve the right to ban disruptive learners from their learning platforms.
  5. Where legally permissible, learners should have the right to access course materials without the need to register a password.
  6. Higher education institutions should have the right to limit the time required for completing a course.
    Others?
2 Likes

#LiDA102 This is for: Higher education institutions should reserve the right to ban disruptive learners from their learning platforms. In my personal view, it would entail on what ‘disruptive’ means as well as the claim; and looking into the higher education institution’s Code of Student Conduct; which would then be decided on a case by case basis. In addition to the CSC document, additional factors such as other related procedures, compliance against international standards, best practices and government regulations should also be taken into consideration.

2 Likes

I think that institutions should have the right to determine what software applications learners use for their study and also to prohibit the use of some; however, if learners are required to have access to proprietary software, the institution should make this available as part of the course fees, it is unfair to ask students to pay for access to expensive software on top of course fees, if they cannot provide access they should have free alternatives to use. lida102

1 Like

#Lida102 Topical Issues-Rights & Responsibilities

1. All Higher Education Institutions(HEIs) should have the right to determine what software apps learners ought to use. I agree. My point is that all HEIs know their strengths and weaknesses in terms of finances, staff complement, skills and capabilities. For a financially struggling institution such as mine, we research and implement free and open software rather than pay licences for it. For the LMS platform, we use Moodle, which is free software; we use Opencast, etc. We are aware that we cannot afford the expensive licenses that are renewable each year.
  2. Students’ right to access their data: Absolutely, they have the right to data. It’s their own effort and viewpoint. Therefore, I agree with students having the right to access their data.
  3. Right to ban disruptive learners from their learning platforms: Yes absolutely, as rude/disruptive behaviour may discourage those who are really interested in learning from signing up for additional courses.
  4. I disagree with HEis having the right to limit the time required for completing a course. Life happens, it’s unpredictable. However, it doesn’t mean that I must start all over again. What’s the harm in learning every time I have an opportunity to do so? Enrolling in a course is a free choice. I’m interested in learning and improving myself, whether I’m taking the course for professional reasons, required by work, or just for the fun of it. If I don’t complete the course in the stipulated time, then it requires me to re-register, set up a new profile, and start from scratch. This will frustrate and discourage more people from enrolling in Moocs.
  5. Students to access course materials without the need for a password-especially when students are required to use multiple pathways to access learning resources. It becomes cumbersome to try and remember all the passwords. One login into the main course is important. However, across multiple apps is unnecessary.

#LIDA102 - Spot on, internal policies and procedures, should serve as guiding documents to instil discipline in online learning as well.