LIDA101 Choosing a research topic

#LiDa101
My idea about the research topic:

1. How Academic librarian can support students to make them digital literacy
  2. The reason I choose this topic is also the reason I take this course to study. Students are nowadays are more digital resident in their personal life. The question is how we can help them to become digital literate in both personal and institutional lives
  3. I think this is a good research question as I can learn from actual practice from other Libraries as well as the I myself be a digital literate librarian, therefore I would know how to help student become digital literate
2 Likes

@NguyenTu

Agreed! That is a meaningful research topic and as an academic librarian you are very well positioned to explore this topic. Information literacy is part of the DNA of library professionals.

There is growing evidence challenging the Net Generation concepts of “digital natives” etc. I suggest visiting this blog co-ordinated by Mark Bullen and others in Canada as part of your research.

At OERu we are planning to develop the “LiDA Community Learning Hub” concept to develop ancilliary support resources (e.g. slide shows, lesson plans etc) for libraries to offer face-to-face support sessions for the OERu’s LiDA course. Here is information from our first planning meeting and any Librarians interest in working with us are most welcome to join our group on the community.oeru.org website.

Look forward to reading the outputs of your mini-research project!

2 Likes

Research question:
How does one evaluate the quality of Open Educational Resources (OER)?

Why I chose this topic:
There seems to be more information online than one could ever access in a lifetime and OER posits a future where free access to information could revolutionize learning. However, how do academic institutions evaluate this information and by what standard(s) is this evaluation process held to?

Justifications why this is a good question for academic research:
Critical inquiry into the nature of academic rigor and how it applies to OER should be justification enough. :wink:

3 Likes

Folk involved with the OERu collaboration would have a keen interest in this question and I look forward to reading your discoveries.

Something to think about: Should the quality evaluation of OER be any different from how you evaluate the quality of any other learning materials (with reference to the pedagogical aspects)?

In other words, what aspects of OER are unique (if any) that would warrant alternative approaches to evaluating quality.

Nice research question!

3 Likes

Hi, I just wanted to comment I think this is a good research topic too. When I was reading about how great digital literacy and technology is in the classroom, I instantly thought about how we need to also recognise the dangers that lie in behaviour with technology. What is really worrying is that online bullying is often unseen by spectators. It is usually carried out by direct message so that it can be hidden. This is a potentially really damaging way of bullying and can incite fear of using technology for the person receiving this.

I also think as a society we need to reflect on our role in perhaps less subversive bullying-type behaviour in social media. We may not realise that messages we put out to our audience as expressions of our opinions may be emotionally harmful to others. Platforms like Facebook seem to have morphed from a social sharing network to a political opinion sharing network where we are offered to give our opinion on media releases, legal issues, social issues and so on. This often turns into a feed “share” with said opinion included, and everyone in the users audience has unfiltered view of their opinion. This can cause people to react, and affect friendships; or cause people to suppress their view for not wanting to debate it, and still affect friendships (let alone mental health).

As technology is integrated into classrooms and homes, I think there is definitely a call to focus on online etiquette at an earlier and more frequent time, as it is easy to express your opinion without being able to “see” the instant reaction of others and realising your message may leave a bigger impact than was intended.

1 Like

My question is how medium of instruction influence the digital literacy?
This is my research topic in my PhD and very relevant to the people who are studying on their mother tongue

Can digital learning and literacies be achievable in poor communities given the affordability of gadgets and data rates?

Technology has become the essence of our duties and lives where information play a vital rule in communicating and learning. As an educator who teaches in a school that lacks many resource wonders how best could one introduce online teaching and personal learning environment confronted with the affordability of the community and other socio economic issues.

I believe this is a good academic resource question because we need to find solutions of how best can we make curriculum simple and accessible cheaply on online platforms by all. The difficulty of digital learning in basic education becomes a reality when learners process to tertiary institutions where they need to be taught first on how to move a computer mouseđŸ–±, how to access library catalogs, online textbook and student blackboards.

LIDA101 Choosing a research topic

I think that’s a great research topic for LiDA101 - Look forward to reading your finding on your blog site when you’ve finished.

My research topic is"Investigating the Coding and Robotics curriculum of different countries of the world". I am interested in the topic because my country is in the process of introducing a new subject called “Coding and Robotics in the primary schools” My proposed research question is “What constitute a robotics and coding curriculum of different countries?” This is a good research question in my view because we cannot answer it with a YES or NO. However, I request fellow participants to help me with the formulation of this question.

1 Like
  1. Research question: How Does dyslexia affect the way we learn?

2. Why I chose this topic: This is a very personal topic for me, as I was not diagnosed until I was at university. The difference between how I studied and school and university was vastly different and I was a lot more confident about my abilities :nerd_face:. So I am interest to see what people have to say about this topic.

3. Justifications why this is a good question for academic research: Every second person wants to claim they are dyslexic, so it will be interesting to see how to tell the difference and how it impacts how learning abilities :face_with_monocle:

#LiDA101

1 Like

Hi Mellisa
In my view your topic is researchable. Good luck and go ahead to read articles about your topic. Probably after reading 10 or more sources about your topic you may consider rephrasing it. All the best

1 Like

Draft Research Question:

How do graduate students describe their experiences with online learning?

Justification:

I did my CEMPA by distance. It really helped me to study and work at the same time. I did my EdD in a hybrid format. It was a convenient way of learning and working at the same time in the US. Now, I teach both online and in a hybrid format. The research question will personally me to dig deeper into and explore the experiences of graduate students who do online courses to identify the pearls and perils on studying online. I think their personal stories will help shape how I teach online and guide how our graduate and professional courses in our University should be refined to ensure better teaching and learning

#LiDA101)

2 Likes

Hi Raypluz, This should be a very interesting question. I am thinking along similar lines with ‘How effective is online learning’? I usually use blended learning with some f2f sessions. Would love to turn my course completely online. But not sure how effective it would be.

2 Likes

I’m now thinking of choosing the research question ‘How effective is online learning for students with disabilities’. I’m interested in inclusive education and disabilities studies, and wonder now with covid 19 how digital learning is working out compared to f2f courses. Looks like this type of learning is going to become more prevalent in the future, so how are students with disabilities going to fare? #lida101 research topic

My research question is how can ICTS improve museum management? I think this is a good question for research because with the digital age and the development of different technologies and applications and services, I think museums all over the world have been and can still use ICTs to improve their services. I chose this topic in this #LiDA101 course because I am sure I will be guided on how to search for the best resources in order to come up with a general situation analysis.

@ereynor, this is an interesting topic!!

1. LiDA101 My draft research question is, ‘What is the impact of race and affirmative action in higher education?’
  2. I chose it because it is very interesting and I want to find out how race and affirmative actions influence learning and teaching in higher education.
  3. It is very broad because more information will be gathered to answer the question.

I have decided on the question: How to support teaching and learning in higher Education during uncertainty of global pandemic.
I have chosen this topic because I am interested in it and the growing reliance on technology and computers by the student worldwide.
I think its a good research question because I will be able to get enough information, #lida101

#lida101 Choosing a research topic:

1. What are “sustainable assignments”? How can they be used to teach and learn art histories?
  2. I chose this topic because it is something I have been thinking about writing about for about a year now.
  3. These are good questions for academic research because they important to the scholarship of teaching and learning art history in the present moment. In many ways art history, a very traditional discipline, has been clinging to “disposable” assignments. Recently there has been a shift to authentic assessment, and considering larger implications of not only what we teach but how we teach it.
1 Like

I have chosen this question: Is ‘discovery learning’ a valid educational practice?

This is something I have wanted to understand more about for a long time, so this is a good chance to investigate it seriously. Also, later this year I need to make a statement of my teaching practice, so I want to understand whether discovery learning is something that I want to include in that.

My initial review of the academic literature suggests that there are a range of views on this topic, so it will be possible to do a critical analysis based on different sources, which will then help me to formulate my own opinions on the topic.

1 Like