DS4OERS (PAC) General forum for digital skills for OER sharing

Apologies…missed out the sense! as it cannot be released as a derivative work hence there is no correct remix for such!

@mackiwg the topic on Develop Teaching …we have a problem on this as it requires us to install LibreOffice Writer? Our issued machines do not allow us to permanently install without admin password which is only with our DOE-ICT. A temporary installing be done but when logged off, all removed because of DeepFreeze. Please advise. I can ask the DOE-ICT to do this but it will take time as they will manually go from one officer’s machine to another to do this and next week is Term Break. Thanks

Just signed up it’s ppodl

Hi Eta,
Kindly refer to the Course site there you will find the answer of the enrolment key.

Tolu is correct - thanks for your help. Here is a quicklink to the relevant section on the course site.

Dear @janetsubaganmondez

As per my reply in Mastodon, I recommend that you request the DOE-ICT department to provide you admin privileges to install the software on the computer, or request their help with the installation process.

Unfortunately - we have no control over the permission settings on computers.

Possible strategies in the event that you don’t get help to install the software on your employer’s computer:

1. Install the software on a personal computer you own (if you have access to your own computer)
  2. Use proprietary software tools you have access to, to complete the challenges.
2 Likes

@mackiwg Thank you for the advice. I have sent a request to our DOE-ICT people yesterday and they will come around today. Hopefully, all machines will have the software by the end of the day. God bless.

2 Likes

@janetsubaganmondez

Thanks for the update - please keep me posted on progress. Having an example of a Pacific country that has installed the software packages as part of the official software image of Department machines will be valuable to share with other countries who are likely to have similar challenges.

Please let your ICT team know that there are three packages that must be installed. The following pages provide download instructions:

1. LibreOffice (all components, i.e. Writer, Draw and Calc)
  2. Audacity
  3. OpenShot

Thanks for taking the initiative in reaching out to your DOE-ICT team. On a positive note, users will now have access to powerful FOSS applications without the department needing to incur any costs with licensing fees.

Have fun with the new software :-).

1 Like

taking on this course has given me a boost to learn and to try and obtain as much knowledge in digital skills with regard to OER and accessing information through various search engines .

Can the Open Image Challenge be done using Microsoft Word? Or does it have to be LibreOffice Writer only? I am using a smartphone to do this as I do not have access to a laptop at the moment.

Hello @sereima

You are not restricted to completing the activity using LibreOffice Writer.

If you are unable to install the software on your device, feel free to use the applications you have access to.

We respect freedom of user choice in software :smiley:

3 Likes

I find this course of instruction very useful. I had never heard of mastodon social media site before, how to work using it but this digital course has enabled me to join this platform. I am wishing to learn more as I go along.

2 Likes

I find this course of instruction very useful. I had never heard of mastodon social media site before, how to work using it but this digital course has enabled me to join this platform. I am wishing to learn more as I go along.

1 Like

I’m still a bit confused with compatibility of CC licences. Can anyone tell me whether CC BY is compatible with CC BY-NC-SA and the reason(s) why or why not. I’m working on getting 2 images for the image resource challenge and finding it difficult to work on that.

1 Like

@mackiwg i am still stuck here with OER image. Sir, I have been trying my best to develop an OER image here but I was not able to create one, I find it really hard… I really need your help!! Colleagues please if you are reading my message I also need your help in assisting me with this activity.

1 Like

I recommend that you work through the course website carefully - step by step. Everything you need to succeed is published on the course website.

The first learning challenge does not require you to create any images - you just need to find openly licensed images you can include in your resource.

The image remix challenge does not expect you to draw images from scratch - you can find openly licensed SVG graphics to adapt and modify. A good opportunity to improve your graphics skills.

This is a learn by doing course, so take the time to practice following the course instructions. In time you will succeed!

Good luck!

1 Like

I get confused when comes to move from forum, to mastodon, to moodule. Help me understand the switching from one to another and the why or when should I move from one to another. Example, when I am on mastodon, it takes quite sometimes, before I got on the Forum. I am still trying to get to the moodule.

1 Like

Is there a ONE PLACE where I can be able to see and move from one to another? - to forum, maston, or moodule?

Activities are so interesting. I got to learn such an enormous amount of new stuff.

1 Like

DS4OERS :heart_eyes:Suggestion is to keep the same password for mastodon, forum and moodle and manage password :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like