DS4OERS (PAC) Discussion on teaching as vocation or profession

In my opinion i strongly believe that Teaching is a combination of vocation and profession in the sense that one needs to be trained, well equipped and to have the heart to persist and not to give in to circumstances or challenges. vocation and profession sort of blends well with each other. i see it like a job description to the position .

The need to contribute more to learning and teaching had me into this noble profession, more to help others reach their goals (Career ) . The end product is rewarding , to see former students graduating from high school and to excel further into tertiary studies. i have encountered students that i have taught reaching greater heights in respective fields : sports , finance, law , education to name a few.

1 Like

Since my Secondary education, I always admired my teachers as my role model, therefore I made up my mind to become one of them and I made it into who I am today. There was a saying “The Best Teacher teach from the heart, not from the book” Teaching is a reward for all teachers when you saw your students are graduate and have a good job and life. That is the only emotional feeling I had experienced Well, teaching is not a job; It is a vocation, whereas a teacher mold one`s students to become an independent learner and become an excellent citizen of this planet. Carl Buechner quotes “They may forget what you said BUT they will NOT forget how you made them feel”

1 Like

That’s a saying worth repeating - thanks for sharing!

you welcome sir and I am looking forward to learn from this course

1 Like

That’s a beautiful way to denote teachers. Even my experiences with my teachers while growing up has made me who I am today and I am extremely thankful to them for helping me build my future.

Dear absolutely true, I am delighted to have them shapping us to become teachers by profession, Thanks mate

1 Like

Teaching is a noble profession from the very beginning. This is the first part of becoming a teacher. But once you are in this profession, teaching becomes a vocation for those teachers who are diligently dedicated , going an extra mile to help the children under their care for learning and development.

I would say that teaching is indeed a vocation as we exercise and exert a lot of dedication into doing what we love doing. We not only teach inside our classrooms but also wherever we are- especially at home during family gatherings etc. Teaching is also a lifetime vocation!
I was inspired by my parents to join the profession as i was taught many valuable lessons by them as educators.

I agree. Teaching is both a vocation and a profession. Firstly we should have passion for teaching and develop it to be a professional.

I joined this noble profession as I had a passion of teaching young learners and enjoy my day with their eagerness of knowing why things are like this and that. It is also very challenging to develop them to be a successful citizen of our nations.
As an open educator we should be fair to all our learners and give equal love, care, attention and so on, to all our learners. doing this may create a more social, friendly and open learning environment.
We should also have a feeling of sharing our knowledge and resources with our colleagues. This would enable us to go deeper into the pedagogies of teaching and learning and also develop a strong social and professional network.

1 Like

Teaching is a noble profession from the very beginning. This becomes a vocation through dedication and the ability to go extra mile to assist students. It is the love of your teaching profession that turns into a vocation.
I joined in this profession to earn a living but teaching the kids is so wonderful that you start to turn your profession into a vocation. Its only applicable to those who are genuinely motivated as teachers are the ones who touch the souls and minds of the students.

Therefore, dear friend, teaching is both vocation and profession as we should have the will to educate and develop skills to educate professionally.

1 Like

Dear All
To me, teaching is both a vocation and a profession. If one is genuinely interested in teaching, it will support and enhance the integrity of the teaching profession. I joined the teaching vocation because I did not have any choice in terms of tertiary education way back in 1995, but I grew to love teaching and that love has helped me improve the teaching profession.

3 Likes
  1. Teaching is both a vocation and profession.
    -To me, Vocation in the sense that we are can all be trained teachers but only some will have that TRUE INNER feeling that you are suited or drawn towards educating young minds because you will always go an extra mile to give the best for the children you teach.
    -Profession in the sense that we know we are “called” not “wanted or needed”.

2. The passion of being around child and help in building up their growth whether physical, mental, social or spiritual is the reason of being in this vocation and profession.

1 Like

Bula vinaka!
Teaching is a science where we are taught how to teach and we are taught content to impart, therefore it is a profession, a career where we attain an academic qualification, then enter a classroom and earn money. For some, their choice was made for them, and for some, it was their dream job to teach.
As you teach and interact with your students you transmit your knowledge in the best method you know, contextualized to your student’s level. As you teach you might notice other behaviors exhibited by your students, perhaps they are not completing their work, not meeting deadlines, they deviate from your expectations.
You counsel your student and re-direct their path. And we all know that this will not be the end of the story, no matter how perfect your consultation was, there is a certain guarantee that it will not be followed. We all know that these students really make us earn our money, we have to decide, whether to pursue the student and guide them back or, do we let them be. As a vocation, our profession also asks us to care for the students, we might be the one constant in their life and they test us to find out if they can trust us enough to share their ‘real’ issues with us. This is where teaching requires more out of us and we decide whether we want to truly care for them or not.
I joined as a teacher, even though it was not my initial choice, and I believe that we are in a position to be agents of change in the world, starting with one student at a time.

2 Likes

In my opinion, teaching is a vocation whereas being a Teacher is a profession. Being able to shape future generations through teaching is one of the greatest gifts of being a teacher thus making it a noble profession. Moreover, I am yet to become a facilitator of learning but the reason I chose this career path is that I have always loved to interact and to become a guide for the young minds in my majoring unit is something I really look forward to. #DS4OERS

1 Like

I agree to your point. Being teachers we hold the will to shape a child’s future in terms of career as well as to become a good citizen/individual.

1 Like

I am involved in tertiary education. In my view, teaching is about sharing and constructing knowledge with students and with colleagues. It is a very dynamic thing as I am also always learning. It involves skills and communication. In this sense it is a profession. But i can easily imagine that working with children may be more of a vocation!

1 Like

Teaching should be viewed as a vocation, a person should feel called to do the work of developing, supporting and inspiring young minds. Where I am from it has become a profession, where graduates have not known what to do next, so they go into teaching. They see it as a job and nothing more. This is not good for the students they teach.

1 Like

A true reflection - good teachers can and do make a difference in the lives of learners.