CS4ODFL (PAC) - Module 3 Forum

Discuss the following questions. Post your responses and then review your colleagues’ posts and respond to at least two of your peers. Try to respond to someone who has not been responded to yet.

As a teacher, what do you think your job is? What would you like your students to get out of your teaching? What active learning techniques would you employ for your online course in both synchronous and asynchronous environments? Why?

The main job of a teacher includes planning, preparing and delivering lessons to all students in the class. Teaching according to the educational needs, abilities and achievement of the individual students and groups of students is the focal role of a teacher. Some synchronous learning techniques to employ are in-person classes, live online meetings when the whole class or smaller groups get together, while in the asynchronous mode the learning techniques would include some activities like watching recorded mini-lectures and taking online quizzes.

4 Likes

I quite agree. For an effective teaching and learning both synchronous and asynchronous modes are necessary.

2 Likes

As a teacher I need to Plan,Prepare and Deliver Lessons according to Fiji Curriculum Guidelines.
I would motivate my students to love learning.
I would prefer recorded videos and On-line Quiz.

2 Likes

The main job of teaching for me is to develop students holistically and academically by planning implementing and reviewing . the only mean of online course we can do with secondary school where i teach is to have online class because there is no good internet connection at the place i teach and where students stay

I believe synchronous and asynchronous learning should go simultaneously. Students feel a greater sense of community and connection to their peers when they all learn together. Students feel a greater sense of collaboration.

1 Like

Hi
Indeed a effective teacher needs to plan and prepare for lessons to be taught.

Hi
All teachers need to prepare their students holistically and guide them to achieve their goals.

My job as a teacher is to treat students with respect and dignity and ensure that their self worth is not is harmed from unthoughtful actions.
Students should be able to comprehend the ideas presented to them in a meaningful way and be able to use the outcomes in their own context based on their everyday living skills.
For active learning its important to use both synchronous and asynchronous techniques so that all the students are able to engage in interactive learning.
Tools:
attendance incentives
peer teaching (using students as peer mentors - who are performing well)
online quiz
sample writing and discussion
organize assignment discussion groups

These tools will provide an opportunity for all the students to engage - irrespective of their capability

2 Likes

My job as a teacher is 1) set everything possible for my students learning environment 2) guide and follow on for students in their learning interactions 3) Make sure students know what when and how to participate in my teaching/learning environment. - course outline, activities, social media platforms, announcements, etc.
Both synchronous and asynchronous environments are active learning techniques and thus I will use them both. Why? because every student is different and will thus learning environments must not be one.

1 Like

@2424 - Some of these teachers are non-christians, how can we help them direct teaching/learning environment to care for a more holistic evironment?

1 Like

Yes definitely agree with merewalesi…

Blended mode of teaching will definitely enhanced teaching and learning nowadays.

1 Like

:shushing_face: As a teacher, I am responsible to see that students learn the concepts and apply the knowledge to do questions given to evaluate themselves. If students do well, it means I have passed the knowledge well and if they don’t then I need to revisit the concepts taught.
I would like my students to use knowledge taught in their real life and also to pass exams.
Online classes in synchronous manner means I will use Zoom or Google Meet to teach and Google Forms or Kahoot (via messenger/ viber) to evaluate my lessons after each online session. I will also use face to face classes since most students learn well through this means. I will show utube videos during my lessons. Asynchronous way will be via upload of notes and assignments through Moodle Platform. Most students are able to access Moodle and join classes via Google Meet and Zoom since we have a messenger/viber group where links can be shared. :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

:heart_eyes:Hi…Just wondering, what means do you use for online quiz?

1 Like

Hi…what means do you use for online quiz and how do you record your lessons? :shushing_face:

-A teacher’s role is to make informed and intelligent decisions about practice to achieve various outcomes with and for students in their classes. A teacher’s role is to make judgments about how best to help their students learn in the environments in which they teach.
-Teachers play a very important role in a student’s life. As a teacher, one must bring out the best in students and inspire them to strive for greatness. … A teacher imparts knowledge, good values, tradition, modern-day challenges and ways to resolve them within students. A good teacher is an asset to the students.
-Assessment and practices are always a good way to know if they’re learning your lessons. Other way are by playing group games, video games and board games.

• There are three main tools:

Observation - students are changing their actions, language, order of writing or speaking, dialogue traits, etc, - when they move on the higher level of knowledge.

Observation isn’t exact tool but probably it’s the main human being quality of a teacher - is he attentive to his students.

Monitoring - changing datas with the complicated criteria set, analysis of the data - it gives statistic picture about the person. If the student read the text with less time or less number of mistakes, with better intonation - you can see his or her progress.

This is rather long process, very regular (must be regular for clear results).

Control or examination is the part of analytic work. It gives the data for analysis.

Feed-back - the student’s type of rexlective thinking - what is really worthwhle for him or her on the lesson, can he formulate the main idea, can he or she translate the text into the scheme? It shows abilities of the students their level of using ways, concepts skills.

4 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:@geeta.krihna - Thank you, I am convinced I should be doing what you are saying ‘if they don’t then I need to revisit the concept taught’. In all my years of teaching, I dont stop neither revisit my topic, concept, or lesson taught - I keep going! No wonder I have never achieved 100% success rate! My mentally is that they must learn, and must follow, while I lead and must move on, always time-bound!. Thank you for this piece of information, something we know but somehow …

2 Likes

As a teacher, my job is to see that students acquire accurate knowledge for development in each level. the student should learn the ethnics of the curriculum that is been delivered in the classroom and prepared themselves for the challenging future. The active learning techniques would be simplifying the learning process so that students can get the most out of what is been taught.

3 Likes