CS4ODFL (PAC) - Module 1 Forum

Discuss the following questions. Post your responses and then review your colleagues’ posts and respond to at least two of your peers. Try to respond to someone who has not been responded to yet.

• What in your view makes computer-mediated communications unique from a teaching perspective, or is it just old wine in new bottles?
  • How would you implement the learning activities in both synchronous and asynchronous environments?
  • What strategies will you use to maintain your teaching presence throughout the course?
4 Likes

Computer mediated communication is unique in the sense that it is efficient, quick and not constricted by the bounds of time or location. One of the best advantages of this is its flexibility. You can communicate with anyone, anytime. Online learning activities occur in the same-chronological time frame. Learning activities could be implemented in synchronous mode via instant messaging, videoconferencing and chat while in asynchronous mode can be implemented through online discussions, and assignments that engage students in learning at their own pace** , on their own time. A strong online teaching presence makes for a strong online learning experience and a sense of community for your students. Through the design of your online course, facilitation of discourse, and direct instruction, you establish your online teaching presence.

7 Likes

It’s implement the learning activities in both synchronous and asynchronous environment. The disadvantage of this learning system in Fiji is that most part of Fiji needs improvement on the on-line network system.

4 Likes

Computer is fundamental to all teaching and learning these modern era. It enables each of us to complete our work well on time. Fiji needs to upgrade the networking system and reduce the costs of modern technology gadgets.

2 Likes

True indeed the networking system in fiji needs to improve as students are really facing challenges in our work completion.

2 Likes

Computer-mediated communications is truely unique due so many reasons and one such reason is the flexibility it provides in correspondences and keeping everything documented. Such communication also reduces the amount of papers being used but increases the screentime. Major setbacks of such are computer literacy, ownership of devices to access such communication and internet connection or rather the internet reception.

Synchronous learning would be most effective through live interactive software apps like ZOOM or Google Meet. I have had personal experience with ZOOM. The features integrated into this application are quite handy. Some features are screen share, whiteboard and the best feature is that it allows for recording of the classes where is can be used as an asynchronous method and resource.

Interactive teaching and learning through audio virtual presentations or animations corresponding to the lesson. Sharing of personal experience can also increase teaching presence.

8 Likes

Computer-mediated communications are unique from that of the teaching perspective. With computer-mediated communications, there is no time, location, or distance boundary. People are connected and linked together regardless of time, distance, geographic pattern, or isolation, provided internet or other communications links are available.

Learning activities using synchronous would be engaging students with active online activities, say reading, filling in spaces, doing pre-designed calculations, etc with time limits and response time.
Learning activities using asynchronous can be designed as home activities with setting out due dates for completion and submission.

5 Likes

ShonamRao - Thank you for sharing. Teaching presence, to me I was thinking of ‘the presence of the teacher while online’ . The design can include setting time, for chat, video presentation, assignments, response and submission due dates?. Design can also include active participation, interaction and creative discussion between students and teacher?

2 Likes

Computer-mediated communication is unique from a teaching perspective because it facilitates interactions between the teachers and students and also between students themselves. But one problem that most part of Fiji are not on the online network system.

2 Likes
  1. Computer mediated communication connects one to the whole world. It can be asynchronous as we can mediate through emails, YouTube videos etc. Furthermore, it also improves the language of communication and its flexible at all times .

2. Synchronous learning can be implemented through online teaching through zoom, google meet, teams etc where students are directly engaged with their facilitator and clear their doubts. Asynchronous mode can be implemented through learning packages posted in the moodle system or any other social media where students can access this at their suitable time within the timeframe set .

3. Use both synchronous and asynchronous mode where the online course should be such and suitable for all types of learners in relation to the particular place they reside where network is also boosted.

5 Likes

Computer -mediated communication is unique from a teaching prospective because it is flexible . save time , always correct , easier to use and always be available when we are in need fir its help.
Learning activities would be planned and timetable sent through email of detail on how the lesson will be presented eg zoom ,chat ,video . and the dates.
Learning and sharing is also interacting with others will help us through this course

4 Likes

What in your view makes computer-mediated communications unique from a teaching perspective, or is it just old wine in new bottles?

So, I don’t drink wine hence, I did not understand that metaphor completely. However, if it means repackaging an old item in new shiny packaging, then I disagree with this aspect of the question. Digitally supported communication is revolutionary especially when it comes to education. The issue here is not the medium but more so educators who are not open to new ideas of facilitating a classroom. I remember having a discussion with colleagues who refused to accept that face-to-face learning can also occur online because they were very tied down with the traditional version of a classroom. In my opinion, face-to-face learning can be computer/digitally facilitated – I see my students’ face and they see mine (face-to-face) – the only aspect that changes is the medium. I think it is important for many educators to realise that using digital mediums or platforms will not make you less an educator. The medium does not determine whether you are a good or less than good an educator. Yes, there are challenges but as we have learnt from Module 1, there are challenges with every medium of teaching and learning. In this new normal, it is imperative to accept that digital based teaching and learning is here to stay and the sooner we get on board, the sooner we will be able to better guide our students in an effective manner.

How would you implement the learning activities in both synchronous and asynchronous environments?

I will draw examples from my own experiences to respond to this question as I use both forms in the courses I teach. I typically use asynchronous communication (recorded lectures, topic self quizzes, etc.,) prior to synchronous communication (one live session via Zoom for students who are able to attend the live session. An outline of the live session is uploaded on the e-learning platform we use (Moodle) for students who were not able to make it to the live session). I also do individual or group-based virtual consultations for different cohorts of students. So far, this system has worked for me, but I am open to learn more and further strengthen the delivery of my courses.

What strategies will you use to maintain your teaching presence throughout the course?

As emphasized in Module 1, teaching presence is very important. I realized this pretty early on when the first lockdown in Fiji occurred. Students were panicking and I realized that all they needed was reassurance that everything will be fine. It is very important to assure students that they will not be abandoned at any time during the course. At the same time, I found myself responding to student messages and queries at all times of the day and night just because I wanted to be present for them and this was burning me out. Hence, teacher presence is important, but so are boundaries and once your students know that you are not abandoning them in an online/blended course, they will eventually become more self-reliant, and you will have less hovering around them to do.

6 Likes

Hi Ela. Yes learning and sharing ideas is also something I am looking forward to so that I can improve my courses.

All the best with yours.
A.

1 Like

mookit as online learning and teaching platform for example is accommodating and indeed very flexible using on the computer.

1 Like
  1. Computer meditated communication is unique since all the work is centered around electronic devices with it’s set of rules or netiquette, it focuses a lot on urban areas where they have access to networks,
    However communication through computer makes work easier, faster and is on time.

2. Activities are very important part of learning. In a synchronous environment, activities would be for individuals rather than groups considering time limit of lesson and students can ask questions during the session. Asynchronous learning can do group work or research work using recording devices

3. Throughout the course I will continue with face to face teaching but also create a communication page for my students for extra notes, activities and opinions

5 Likes

Yes I do agree with that idea of the new normal and that it is here to stay.
During the pandemic we noticed the difficulty in communication with students in regards to the delivery of their worksheets and feedbacks for marking. So setting up a page on Viber to remind them of their worksheets and even uploading it was easier for them to reply to.
so yes one way or another will have to get used to communication online

1 Like

Yes that’s true.
I relate to the children in the village during the lockdown, most of them had to climb tall trees and up hills in order to get networks and have their zoom sessions.
Just sad to witness such things especially if they have a zoom sessions in the night

3 Likes

Yes, it really sad to witness that, especially at night when they have classes.

Sometimes those in the interior of Fiji and some islands when there is a cyclone its takes days or months to reconnect to internet.

3 Likes